Trying to get an XP WSUS-Offline fully updated

Trying to get an XP WSUS-Offline fully updated

Postby Antharro » 23.04.2020, 01:33

Background:

- Decided I wanted a complete build of WSUSOffline for XP, so downloaded 9.2.1 and let it download all the updates it could.
- Grabbed an old laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150, P4M CPU, 2Gb RAM, 30Gb SSD) and did a clean install of XP Pro SP3.
- Installed all relevant drivers.
- Ran WSUSOffline and let it do its thing.

Log:

On the first round, it installed:
- WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
- WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe
- IE8

On the second round, it:

- tried to install rootsupd.exe but couldn't as the file was missing.
- tried to install rvkroots.exe but couldn't as the file was missing.

- installed directx_Jun2010_redist.exe
- installed Silverlight.exe

- tried to install kbwmp11-windowsxp-x86 but couldn't as the file was missing.
- installed dotnet2.0, dotnet 3.0, dotnet 3.5 and dotnet 4.0

On the third round, it:

- tried and failed to install rootsupd.exe, rkvroots.exe, kbwmp11-windowsxp-x86 - missing files
- tried to install kb969084 but couldn't as the file was missing.
- warned about RDC installation file(s) not found (assuming this is the KB in the line above)
- searched for required updates (took around 14 minutes, not bad), found NONE to install
- then finished.

I thought that was rather odd, so I ran it again with the same results as the third round.

I then manually downloaded the last XP versions of rootsupd.exe and rvkroots.exe, wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe (renaming it to kbwmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe), and KB969084, putting them in the relevant directories. I then re-ran WSUSOffline, which picked up all four files but wouldn't install them because the hash values were incorrect compared to what it was expecting.

I manually installed all four updates, which all installed without problem, rebooted and re-ran WSUSOffline. This time it picked up on the installed versions of rootsupd.exe (38.0.2195.0) and rvkroots.exe (5.0.2195.0)m as well as WMP (11.0.5721.5145), and it apparently found KB969084 was installed as it didn't try.

It then spent another 12 or so minutes looking for updates but found none to install and quit.

This strikes me as very strange - this is a clean XP Pro SP3 install and should be missing probably hundreds of updates - why isn't WSUSOffline finding them?

Any help appreciated as always!
Antharro

Re: Trying to get an XP WSUS-Offline fully updated

Postby Antharro » 24.04.2020, 02:36

baldjared wrote:https://forums.wsusoffline.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10152

Well that's annoying. Darn Microsoft.

baldjared wrote:https://forums.wsusoffline.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10176

That's my own thread. :-D I was hoping to be able to build a new XP instance but it's looking like that won't happen. How annoying.
Antharro

Postby baldjared » 24.04.2020, 03:12

Haha, oops, didn't notice that was your topic.

Yeah, I think the new media path is probably pretty much a deadend between lack of interest on updating the ESR going forward (extremely understandable, imo) and MS screwing everything up (extremely unsurprising, imo). Gonna be pretty much limited to that set that boco links to in your other topic is my guess.

Good luck!
baldjared

Postby aker » 25.04.2020, 00:05

Antharro wrote:That's my own thread. :-D I was hoping to be able to build a new XP instance but it's looking like that won't happen. How annoying.

Impossible as MS pulled a lot of files and Windows XP isn't compatible with newer versions of the catalog wsusscn2.cab anymore.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Return to Installation / Updating