Patching without write access to TEMP

Patching without write access to TEMP

Postby rmorrow815 » 23.12.2019, 20:49

Hello everyone. New person on the forum but long time user. I ran into an issue where I was unable to install OS patches because the temp directory was limited to read only permissions. I was able to set temp to the wsus directory using the following code in WSUSOS_DIR\cmd\custom\InitializationHook.cmd

Code: Select all
cd "%~dp0"
rmorrow815

Patching without access to TEMP

Postby rmorrow815 » 23.12.2019, 21:04

Hello Everyone, New user on forum longtime user. I have been running into issue installing patches using WSUS offline. I found the following code which I am using in wsusou_dir\cmd\custom\InitializationHook.cmd

https://forums.wsusoffline.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6876

cd "%~dp0..\.."
set WSUSOU_DIR=%cd%
cd "%~dp0"
if not exist "%WSUSOU_DIR%\tmp" (
     exit /b 1
)
set TEMP=%WSUSOU_DIR%\tmp

The problem was that DISM was still trying to write to temp. I was able to make the following change to /ScratchDir wsusou_dir\cmd\InstallOSUpdate.cmd on lines 187 and 189

if exist %systemRoot%\Sysnative\Dism.exe (
   %systemRoot%\Sysnative\Dism.exe /Online %DISM_QPARAM% /NoRestart /Add-Package /PackagePath:%1 /IgnoreCheck /ScratchDir:%TEMP%
)  else (
   %systemRoot%\System32\Dism.exe /Online %DISM_QPARAM% /NoRestart /Add-Package /PackagePath:%1 /IgnoreCheck /ScratchDir:%TEMP%
)

The question I had was how could this change get put into the main wsusoffline download.

Thanks
rmorrow815

Re: Patching without write access to TEMP

Postby Dalai » 23.12.2019, 22:11

Well, I'm not sure if that's the only change necessary. Other programs/commands used by WSUS Offline could also refer to the original %TEMP% directory instead of the changed one.

But, to answer your question: If the author sees your suggestion as valid and good, it will be added to the trunk (which will end up as WSUS Offline main package eventually).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby aker » 23.12.2019, 23:06

rmorrow815 wrote:I found the following code which I am using in wsusou_dir\cmd\custom\InitializationHook.cmd

https://forums.wsusoffline.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6876

cd "%~dp0..\.."
set WSUSOU_DIR=%cd%
cd "%~dp0"
if not exist "%WSUSOU_DIR%\tmp" (
     exit /b 1
)
set TEMP=%WSUSOU_DIR%\tmp

The script you use was created for Download only. It must NOT be used for the installation as I cannot tell you for sure, that it's working.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby rmorrow815 » 24.12.2019, 02:27

Hmm I did change both together but when I added the scratch space switch it would start to install. I'll test it some more without the code you created to see if I get a positive result. Any suggestions on getting installs to work with directing temp directory to a possible different directory.
Last edited by Gerby on 01.01.2020, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post.
rmorrow815

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 02.03.2020, 23:30

Hi.

--------------------------------
/ScratchDir:<Pfad zum Verzeichnis>

Gibt ein temporäres Verzeichnis für die Extrahierung zu wartender
Dateien an. Das Verzeichnis muss vorhanden sein.

Ohne Angabe wird das temporäre Verzeichnis verwendet.
--------------------------------

Doesn't make sense then to specify "/ScratchDir:%TEMP%", does it?

RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Installation / Updating