Feature Updates

Feature Updates

Postby idontlikewindows » 21.05.2019, 12:06

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you for the hard work on this tool. I do have a question, however;

After many restarts and updates, I see that the tool is not capable of installing feature updates (update Windows 1607 to anything higher). Is this correct?

If it is correct, what is the purpose of this utility?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
idontlikewindows

Re: Feature Updates

Postby Dalai » 21.05.2019, 17:41

idontlikewindows wrote:After many restarts and updates, I see that the tool is not capable of installing feature updates (update Windows 1607 to anything higher). Is this correct?

Correct. See :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7440

If it is correct, what is the purpose of this utility?

This question should be covered in the FAQ that came with WSUS Offline. JFTR: The purpose is to install security updates (on supported Windows systems). Feature updates, or rather Windows upgrades, are no security updates. Also, technically Windows upgrades use a completely different mechanism, so it's just not possible to download Windows upgrades. Furthermore, Windows upgrades do a fresh system installation (including repartitioning) and migrate programs and user files to the new system. In short: It's dumb that MS calls them "Updates" because they aren't.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Re: Feature Updates

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 22.05.2019, 10:02

Moin!

Ich habe einen entsprechenden Satz in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=172 und in ...\doc\coverage.txt hinzugefügt.

VG Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Installation / Updating