WOUTemp power scheme

WOUTemp power scheme

Postby GCRaistlin » 27.02.2019, 17:28

Selecting WOUTemp power scheme sets Turn Off Display to "Never". What's the sense of that? It's better to set it to "1 minute" - we certainly do not need the display to be on during the installation. Or please make it customizable.
GCRaistlin

Re: WOUTemp power scheme

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 28.02.2019, 14:58

Hi.

As far as I know, the computer is locked when you return from a turned off display, but you won't be able to unlock it, because you don't know the random password of WOUTempAdmin.

Cheers,
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby Dalai » 28.02.2019, 15:30

This is true, but can be prevented. Because it's an annoying behavior at work (which Win7 doesn't have), we disable that on every Win8.x and Win10 system using these commands:
Code: Select all
powercfg.exe -SETACVALUEINDEX "POWERSCHEME_GUID" SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0
powercfg.exe -SETDCVALUEINDEX "POWERSCHEME_GUID" SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0
By default we use a for-loop to iterate through all available power schemes (and run the above commands for all of them), but I guess that's not necessary in this case.

See also here: http://windowstipsandfixes.blogspot.com ... quire.html

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby GCRaistlin » 01.03.2019, 12:54

Why create a new user at all? I believe Auto Recall After Reboot feature is mostly used right after the installation when there is only one user with empty password or with auto logon enabled. Again, it is worth to make creating a new user optional.
On the other hand, even if a new user needs to be created why don't turn off Require Password On Wake-up temporarily, just as UAC?
GCRaistlin

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 07.03.2019, 17:04

Hi.

The temporary admin user is optional, dependent on automatic recall option.

I just set the "switch of monitor" value to one minute without locking the computer, as you and Dalai suggested.
Available in r1018.

Cheers,
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby Dalai » 07.03.2019, 17:20

JFTR: AFAIK the powercfg command above does not prevent locking the computer. It disables the requirement to enter a password after waking the computer or re-enabling the monitor.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby GCRaistlin » 07.03.2019, 18:07

There's another problem with temporary admin user feature - I run into it a few days ago. I first launched WSUS Offline Update, then, as it was expected that it takes a good half a hour, I launched DrWeb installation. It finishes successfully, I refused to restart of course and closed DrWeb installer. WSUS Offline Update did its thing successfully, too, but was unable to perform the last step (restoring the registry hive as I remember this right) because DrWeb has blocked it.
GCRaistlin

Postby Dalai » 07.03.2019, 19:27

When you know that DrWeb has blocked the registry (hive), why is this an issue in WSUS Offline? What should WSUS Offline do when it can't restore the registry hive (apart from a warning, which I'm not sure if that's already shown/logged)?

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby GCRaistlin » 07.03.2019, 19:44

I didn't say that it's a WSUS Offline Update issue. But it can be prevented by auto-recalling WSUS Offline Updates under the current user instead of temporary admin user. Of course it would be up to the user to reset the password, or to set up auto-logon, or to enter the password manually after the each reboot.
GCRaistlin

Postby Dalai » 08.03.2019, 00:48

Well, the next person will wonder why setting up autologon requires additional manual steps compared to how it is currently.

No matter how you do something, there will be complaints from somewhere.

BTW: You can set up automatic recall under any (administrative) user you like. Add WSUS Offline as autorun (via start menu or registry) with the parameters/switches you need, enable autologon, add something like a reboot command to wsusoffline\client\cmd\custom\FinalizationHook.cmd (rename from .cmdt), and disable autologon and/or delete the autorun in FinalizationHookFinal.cmd. If it's worth the effort is your decision. (I don't use auto-recall feature at all.)

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Next

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions