ListMissingUpdateIds.vbs (65,3)

ListMissingUpdateIds.vbs (65,3)

Postby saegiru » 29.05.2019, 17:23

I am getting the following error when attempting to run this against my Windows 10 v1809 systems with Office 2016:

ListMissingUpdateIds.vbs (65,3) The system cannot find the file specified.

Then it says there are no updates, and exits. I know for an absolute fact that there are updates to install, but I can't get it to work for anything.

I looked at line 65 of the vbs file and can't see what the issue could be. Does anyone have any insight or ideas on where I can go from here? This is game-breaking for our current update procedures.
saegiru

Re: ListMissingUpdateIds.vbs (65,3)

Postby Dalai » 29.05.2019, 20:57

Did you do a download run with UpdateGenerator before starting UpdateInstaller? Does the file wsusoffline\client\wsus\wsusscn2.cab exist? Can your system show the contents of %TEMP% in Explorer (or any other file manager)? Does the file %TEMP%\wsusscn2.cab exist?

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby saegiru » 30.05.2019, 14:39

Did you do a download run with UpdateGenerator before starting UpdateInstaller? --Yes.
Does the file wsusoffline\client\wsus\wsusscn2.cab exist? --Yes.
Can your system show the contents of %TEMP% in Explorer (or any other file manager)? Yes.
Does the file %TEMP%\wsusscn2.cab exist? --It does when the update is running, and is deleted when it fails/finishes.

A little bit more to add, this worked previously on these systems. The last successful updates were run in March. Also, the exact same client works on the Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 systems.

My process is to copy the client to a network share, then on the individual systems I use pushd to connect to the network share, then I run the doupdate.cmd directly.

Is there possibly a GPO that might be causing it? I have looked through my settings and can't find anything (and like I said, it worked previously and there has not been any major changes since.)
saegiru

Postby Dalai » 30.05.2019, 19:47

saegiru wrote:My process is to copy the client to a network share, then on the individual systems I use pushd to connect to the network share, then I run the doupdate.cmd directly.

Do you run UpdateGenerator (or your script which uses pushd) as a different user? If so, is the catalog file copied to %TEMP% for this user properly? Does this user have administrator privileges?

Is there possibly a GPO that might be causing it?

I don't think so, but I neither know which GPOs you're using nor do I know all of them, obviously. Meaning: I can't rule out that a GPO might be causing this. However, it's pretty easy to find out: Disable call GPOs temporarily (e.g. in the registry branches) and try WSUS Offline again.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby saegiru » 30.05.2019, 20:03

Dalai wrote:Do you run UpdateGenerator (or your script which uses pushd) as a different user? If so, is the catalog file copied to %TEMP% for this user properly? Does this user have administrator privileges?

I run the UpdateGenerator on a different system and save it off to a USB stick, which I then copy to the network of the disconnected system. The UpdateGenerator is never run on the system that is getting the actual updates.
That being said, I have administrator privileges on all accounts that are used in this process.

I don't think so, but I neither know which GPOs you're using nor do I know all of them, obviously. Meaning: I can't rule out that a GPO might be causing this. However, it's pretty easy to find out: Disable call GPOs temporarily (e.g. in the registry branches) and try WSUS Offline again.

I actually disabled the GPOs earlier after I wrote this, and it didn't make any difference. I also can't replicate this on a VM, so I am stuck on figuring it out. It's almost like it can't successfully write the missingid file or something.
saegiru

Postby Dalai » 30.05.2019, 20:29

saegiru wrote:That being said, I have administrator privileges on all accounts that are used in this process.

Oops, sorry, I meant UpdateInstaller of course. Do you use a different account to run it?

It's almost like it can't successfully write the missingid file or something.

No, it can't read it. The Windows Update Agent is asked to use the specified catalog file, and that doesn't seem to exist. That's why I asked if you see that file in %TEMP% of the user you use to run UpdateInstaller.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby saegiru » 31.05.2019, 01:02

When you say the catalog file, do you mean wsusscn2.cab? I have tried it with different admin accounts and it does get copied over there. I have watched the %TEMP% folder as the process happens, and everything shows up until it gets to the ListMissingUpdates.vbs... it runs for a few minutes, then just ends abruptly, and I never see a missingupdates.txt(or whatever the actual name is supposed to be) show up in the %TEMP% directory at all.
saegiru

Postby Dalai » 31.05.2019, 01:21

saegiru wrote:When you say the catalog file, do you mean wsusscn2.cab?

Yes.

[...] it runs for a few minutes, then just ends abruptly [...]

OK, I thought it would abort the operation immediately. Well, then it's probably something else the WUA (Windows Update Agent) doesn't like. Please do the following: open PowerShell, enter
Code: Select all
Get-WindowsUpdateLog > c:\somefile.log
(replacing C:\somefile.log with the location of where you want to save the output), upload the generated file somewhere and post a link to it here. It's probably a good idea to compress the file before uploading because it may get quite large.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby aker » 31.05.2019, 01:45

If it‘s Windows 7 we can use the easy method:
Please upload c:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log somewhere and post a link here.

Also try this:
Manually copy wsusscn2.cab to %temp% and open an admin-CMD.
Then go to your wsusou share using „pushd“ or „cd /d“ (to be exact: ...\client\cmd) and run „cscript ListMissingUpdateIds.vbs“. Does it throw the same error?

Another attempt (be warned, this will delete all WU settings such as Auto-Update, hidden updates, ...):
- stop the „Windows Update“ service
- clear „C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\“ (do not delete the folder itself, just all of its content)
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby saegiru » 31.05.2019, 13:36

Dalai wrote:
saegiru wrote:When you say the catalog file, do you mean wsusscn2.cab?

Yes.

[...] it runs for a few minutes, then just ends abruptly [...]

OK, I thought it would abort the operation immediately. Well, then it's probably something else the WUA (Windows Update Agent) doesn't like. Please do the following: open PowerShell, enter
Code: Select all
Get-WindowsUpdateLog > c:\somefile.log
(replacing C:\somefile.log with the location of where you want to save the output), upload the generated file somewhere and post a link to it here. It's probably a good idea to compress the file before uploading because it may get quite large.

Regards
Dalai

The systems I work on are confidential, and I am not allowed to take anything off and upload it here, but do you have any keywords or specific things I could look for in the logs? I browsed through them but didn't see anything that stood out so far.

aker wrote:If it‘s Windows 7 we can use the easy method:
Please upload c:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log somewhere and post a link here.

Also try this:
Manually copy wsusscn2.cab to %temp% and open an admin-CMD.
Then go to your wsusou share using „pushd“ or „cd /d“ (to be exact: ...\client\cmd) and run „cscript ListMissingUpdateIds.vbs“. Does it throw the same error?

Another attempt (be warned, this will delete all WU settings such as Auto-Update, hidden updates, ...):
- stop the „Windows Update“ service
- clear „C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\“ (do not delete the folder itself, just all of its content)

It is Windows 10 v1809 - not Win 7, and I also cannot upload the logs here. I did try your copying the cab and running the script directly - it shows the exact same error. Again, I watched the %TEMP% directory and no missingupdate file was ever created (or if it was, it was created and deleted faster than my eyes could see).

I also tried stopping the service and deleting the folder, but that made no difference either.

In addition, I have tried using the powershell script that resets Windows Update, rebooted - also no changes.

Regardless of all of this, thank you all for the help so far! I really appreciate it.
saegiru

Next

Return to Installation / Updating