After Successful Update, There Is No Visible Software Change

After Successful Update, There Is No Visible Software Change

Postby jonathanlosada » 07.05.2019, 19:42

Hello everyone,

I am trying to update an offline machine using the WSUS tool but I am having no visual results, I am even prompted with a "Installation Successful" message once the UpdateIntsaller finishes .

I have seen other members here in the forum say that I need to repeat this process multiple times until it says "Nothing to do". However, I have run the UpdateIntsaller multiple times and I never encounter this message.

I have also tried downloading an older version then the current newest 11.6.2 to see if I still get any issues. I have tried version 11.0 and even 10.5, still I do not see any change on my machine.

Is the Windows Build supposed to change after the UpdateInstaller process has finished? Because mine stays at 1607 and never goes up to the newest 1809. I have seen in other threads here that the actual windows build is not supposed to change, however, I do not know how accurate that is.

If that is the case, then what do you use to see if the updates are actually happening? When I go into the target machine's "Check For Updates" I only see two new updates (KB4023834 and KB3186568). I feel like it seems very unlikely that after performing so many Windows updates that I only see two new in my Update History.

When looking up the two updates, they are both for Windows build 1607 which coincidentally is the current build I am on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on to what is going on?

Thanks
jonathanlosada

Re: After Successful Update, There Is No Visible Software Ch

Postby Dalai » 07.05.2019, 20:55

jonathanlosada wrote:I have seen other members here in the forum say that I need to repeat this process multiple times until it says "Nothing to do". However, I have run the UpdateIntsaller multiple times and I never encounter this message.

Well, assuming that WSUS Offline installs updates over and over again, e.g. because updates fail to apply correctly during system reboot, you'll never get to the point "Nothing to do".

Is the Windows Build supposed to change after the UpdateInstaller process has finished?

The Windows build number might change (e.g. 10.0.17763.15 to 10.0.17763.107), but not its version (e.g. 1703 to 1709). The latter are system upgrades (called feature-updates by Microsoft), which in reality are fresh installations with the migration of installed programs and user data. WSUS Offline only installs security updates, no upgrades. Either use Windows Update to do Windows upgrades or download the appropriate ISO (or media creation tool) to do the upgrade.

Because mine stays at 1607 and never goes up to the newest 1809.

1607 is unsupported since quite some time, with the exception of specific hardware (Intel Atom Z2000 CPUs) and perhaps the LTSB edition (not sure on that one).

Does anyone have any suggestions on to what is going on?

See above. I strongly recommend to upgrade to a newer release, unless you have that specific hardware or LTSB edition.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Re: After Successful Update, There Is No Visible Software Ch

Postby aker » 08.05.2019, 20:45

Please read this:
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7440
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Return to Installation / Updating