[Solved] Unable to delete WOUTempAdmin Folder

[Solved] Unable to delete WOUTempAdmin Folder

Postby RangerZ » 01.05.2017, 22:57

I am running WSUS 10.9.2 on a new Windows 7 install. I have copied the client folder to the desktop and run the updatinstaller with Automatic reboot and recall.

I am not sure this is related, but I have noticed that when I come back to the machine that I am often at the login for the temp account, but as I do not have the password, I end up changing the user account to complete the process. Reading elsewhere there appears to be a random password for this account.

My issue is that when all is done I end up with a User FOLDER called \User\WOUTempAdmin which I can not delete. The account is gone from users. The security of the folder shows some "unknown account S-.... The folder looks empty, but its properties say it has 6 folders and 2 files with 2.51 MB of contents.

I have tried to delete the folder, but get the message "The action can't be completed because the folder or file file in it is open in another program" so I suspect something is trying to use one of "invisible' files.

Possibley related, under the "Notifications" area I see an entry for WSUS Offline Update Installer which I do not wish to have.

I have tried to change permissions/owner but still unable to see the files or delete the folder. I have also rerun the UpdateInstaller and CleanUpRcall.bat hoping it may clean up after itself with no success.
Last edited by RangerZ on 05.05.2017, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
RangerZ

Re: Unable to delete WOUTempAdmin Folder

Postby aker » 02.05.2017, 21:14

Are you logged in as admin?
If yes, you should be able to delete it.
Else reboot and try rerunning .\client\cmd\CleanupRecall.cmd as admin.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby RangerZ » 03.05.2017, 01:56

Yes, the user is a member of the admin, but no I can not delete it. The Cleanuprecall.cmd does not remove the folder.

What is interesting is that I can not see the files and folders under the user.

Do you know what drives the appearance of the entry in the Notifications section for the WSUS Offline Update Installer? Are the issues related?
RangerZ

Postby aker » 03.05.2017, 22:34

I don't think, that they are related.
The notification is most likely an issue with the AutoIt-compiler, which sometimes causes wsusou to create a notification icon for less than a second. Just delete it.

Which error do you get, when trying to delete the folder? Access denied, File in use or something different?
You may try to delete it in safe mode.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

aker

Postby RangerZ » 03.05.2017, 23:45

I do not know how to delete a Notification entry. I have removed the client folder from the desktop. Unless the program installs something somewhere, I believe the software is not left on the computer. I am happy to hack a registry entry or disable a service.

The message is "The action can't be completed because the folder or file file in it is open in another program"
RangerZ

Postby RangerZ » 03.05.2017, 23:57

I just found a few links to the registry key that stores this data. Here is one http://www.thewindowsclub.com/clear-pas ... ation-area
The Key is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify"
It says to delete the IconStreams adn PastIconStreams keys and restart explorer.exe (reboot)
I will try it when I get back to the machine next.
RangerZ

Postby aker » 04.05.2017, 05:04

Just open the notifications and click the small "X". That should already do the job.

For the folder: try in Safe Mode.
aker

aker

Postby RangerZ » 05.05.2017, 22:27

While I do not see the small x, the notifications issue appears to have corrected it self. (CCleaner?)

Booting to safe mode does allow me to see and delete the 2 files (below) and folders
WOUTempAdmin\Local\Temp\[uuid]\nisfull.vdm
WOUTempAdmin\Local\microsoft\MediaPlayer\currentDatabase_372

Thanks
RangerZ

Re: [Solved] Unable to delete WOUTempAdmin Folder

Postby aker » 05.05.2017, 22:33

Looks like Windows Defender and maybe some WMP-stuff...
Ignorable, but sounds like Windows didn't fully reboot (maybe some kind of fast booting/hilbernation stuff)...

Have a nice weekend
aker

aker

Return to Installation / Updating