Cannot create ISO?

Cannot create ISO?

Postby cdgoldin » 15.08.2019, 12:18

I wanted to create an ISO for Office 2003 and Office 2007, so:

1) I downloaded wsusoffline 9.2.1 (which is purportedly the last version that included them)

2) I ran UpdateGenerator.exe from the 9.2.1 files

3) I checked Office 2003 (English), Office 2007 (English), Dotnet, C+ and "create USB"

4) When it completed, the only files in the ISO folder were wsusoffline-ofc-enu.iso and wsusoffline-ofc-enu-hashes.txt; the only entry in the ...\client\02k3 folder is WordViewer2003SP3-KB934736-FullFile-ENU.exe; the only entry in the \client\02k7 folder is powerpointviewer2007sp3-kb2526298-fullfile-en-us.exe; there are numerous files in the ...\client\dot-net folder

So, what happened? Why don't I have ISO's for 02k3, 02k7, and dotnet?
cdgoldin

Re: Cannot create ISO?

Postby Dalai » 15.08.2019, 16:32

What does the ISO which has been created contain? My guess is that everything is in there. There are no separate ISOs for the different MS Office versions BTW because a) MS doesn't separate them (all updates are for all versions) and b) wsusoffline\cmd\CreateISOImage.cmd only supports ofc as parameter.

PS: wsusoffline\log\download.log should contain information about the operations performed, maybe even script switches that were used.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby cdgoldin » 16.08.2019, 13:20

Thank you.

The ...\client\office\enu folder contains 7 files. The ...\client\office\glb folder contains 585. Presumably the ISO contained all of them, although I deleted the ISO and just retained a copy of the ...\client folder, since that is all that is needed to run the updateinstaller.

No separate ISO's? When I ran the same 9.2.1 updategenerator about a year (or two) ago, there were four files in ...\client\02k3\enu, one in ...\client\02k3\glb, ten in ...\client\ofc\enu, and 137 in ...\client\ofc\glb. I thought there were separate ISO's, but (as above) I deleted them and just retained a copy of the client folder.

I'm guessing the difference is attributable to M$ reorganizing the way the store office updates?

The wsusoffline\log\download.log is beyond my comprehension. :?
cdgoldin

Postby Dalai » 16.08.2019, 15:59

cdgoldin wrote:[...] although I deleted the ISO and just retained a copy of the ...\client folder, since that is all that is needed to run the updateinstaller.

Uh, then why create ISOs at all? You could select [X] Copy updates for selected products into directory, and use the USB drive as target. Or just copy the client directory after the download is finished.

I'm guessing the difference is attributable to M$ reorganizing the way the store office updates?

Maybe. Keep in mind that there hasn't been any separation of updates since at least Office 2007, and even in times of Office 2003 the ofc directory was used (although maybe not as much).

The wsusoffline\log\download.log is beyond my comprehension. :?

Well, it's not as complicated as you might think. It tells in plain English what was done, which updates were downloaded, which ISOs it created and so on.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby cdgoldin » 16.08.2019, 16:37

Dalai wrote:Uh, then why create ISOs at all? You could select [X] Copy updates for selected products into directory, and use the USB drive as target. Or just copy the client directory after the download is finished.

That's what I've done in the past. I just thought I'd create an ISO instead this time. Not sure if there is any advantage (or disadvantage).

Well, it's not as complicated as you might think. It tells in plain English what was done, which updates were downloaded, which ISOs it created and so on.

Perhaps I'm not so bright. :(
cdgoldin

Postby aker » 16.08.2019, 22:06

In wsusscn2.cab there is no real difference between the different Office versions, which makes it impossible to differ them.
Except for some static updates (Service Packs, ...) everything is stored under .\client\ofc\glb.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Return to Download