Re: Download from WSUS server

Postby 5ione51 » 15.08.2016, 23:30

Untitled.png
screenshot of client pc
(21.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
5ione51

Postby Denniss » 16.08.2016, 08:18

Renaming is likely required as WSUS just uses the sha-1 hash as filename so to compare the fileset the back and forth renames have to be done.
Strange there's no reboot required after installing the update rollup(s) nor is there a message about stopping windows update service.
Denniss

Postby 5ione51 » 16.08.2016, 11:19

remembering that the log is of the download process, not client installation.
but if you look at the time stamps of the logs, there is no explanation why it is taking so long to complete,
is there no verbose option which delves deeper?
5ione51

Postby aker » 16.08.2016, 22:52

There is no verbose-option. As KB3000850 is a big update it could take a lot of time. You may check, if a process named "svchost.exe", "wusa.exe", "TrustedInstaller.exe" or "TiWorker.exe" is taking high CPU or HDD usage. If yes, you'll have to wait.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby 5ione51 » 17.08.2016, 04:42

hi ,

appreciate the help - always nice when someone volunteers their time.

just noticed that the logs contain incorrect timestamps - the time does not seem to change for the file renames, when in fact this took hours.

okay so the point over not being able to download the files from the local WSUS server?
and even when downloading the update from M$ - it took most of 24H, when downloading this as a batch (2.4GB) would have taken nowhere near this amount of time
5ione51

Postby hbuhrmester » 17.08.2016, 15:55

Just for curiosity, you don't try to use a secure https connection to your WSUS server? It is known, that the bundled wget does not support encryption. But then it should print an error message like "scheme not supported".

I guess, a verbose output would really help. The UpdateGenerator doesn't have a verbose option, but the download utility wget surely has, and it's the default anyway.

But to change that, you would need to do a small search-and-replace in the script DownloadUpdates.cmd. I know, that people don't like to edit these scripts, but you only need to delete one character. So this is, what I would do:

1. Open the script wsusoffline/cmd/DownloadUpdates.cmd
  2. Goto line 222:

Code: Select all
    set DLDR_NVOPT=-nv

3. Change it to:

set DLDR_NVOPT=-v

This means something like: "Set the downloader non-verbose option to verbose." It will immediately give you a verbose output everywhere.

You may find, that the output of wget is really verbose, if the output is not to a terminal. It then uses dots to mark the progress. You could try to reduce the output with:

set DLDR_NVOPT=--verbose --progress=dot:mega

The latest version of wget allows a better control of the output: With the new option --show-progress, the progress bar will always be shown in the terminal window, and the rest of the output may be saved to a file. This would be more like aria2 or curl.

The latest Windows builds also support encryption.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5451

The hashes files mentioned earlier will be created, if you mark the option "Verify downloads" in UpdateGenerator.
hbuhrmester

Postby 5ione51 » 18.08.2016, 03:19

Thanks,

I will try your suggestions and report back if anything changes.

with regard to the hashes - it appears to create the file - but does not bundle it in with the iso that is created - at least not by default
I can work around it, but was wondering whether I had missed a switch when creating the ISO?
5ione51

Previous

Return to Download