Question for experts and weird updates

Question for experts and weird updates

Postby caliber » 14.10.2019, 12:58

Hello everybody
it's my first post and I'm not sure this is the correct place to place this question.
it's also the first time I use this program to download updates because M$ will probably shut down their servers by the end of the year

what is the real difference between ''per selected product and language'' and ''per selected language x86 cross product (desktop only)''
caliber

Re: Question for experts and weird updates

Postby boco » 14.10.2019, 18:28

The former creates an ISO of every selected product and language. Note that for OS with only glb (global) selection, there is only one ISO.

The latter creates one big ISO of all selected 32bit (x64) OS. Because of the huge size, it's only available for 32bit. To be honest, cross-product ISO is mostly deprecated by now.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby caliber » 14.10.2019, 19:29

thanks for your response boco.

to me the first option (left) is the one that creates a bigger ISO file. I have only tried to download XP updates nothing else.
I have been comparing both ISOs content and I have found weird things.
for example a I have found the directX June 2010 file in one of the ISOs
I have seen a couple of x64 updates on the other ISO
if you check out the following screenshot you can see deutsche updates or the Net Framework 4.5 which has never been compatible with XP.

caliber

Postby caliber » 15.10.2019, 17:02

I wonder if you are trying to investigate this issue or is it normal ?
I don't know why some files are missing and why other files not compatible with this version are added to the ISO.
moreover the number of updates should the the same in all folders regardless the options I have selected
I have seen 297 in one folder and 298 in the other one... :roll:

what is the utility of the additional folder wxp/esn on the bigger ISO ?
another question why are all downloaded files stored in ''client'' folder ?
if the ISO is correctly made and tested I think this temporary folder should be automatically deleted.
caliber

Postby boco » 15.10.2019, 20:44

I'm only a user, like you. Usually, there's much more traffic here during weekends.

Your picture shows WOU 9.2.1. That's an outdated version, did you check the current ESR 9.2.5, already?
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby caliber » 24.10.2019, 07:57

boco wrote:Your picture shows WOU 9.2.1. That's an outdated version, did you check the current ESR 9.2.5, already?

Yes I did. it's even worse because the folder with updates is totally different. 190 (9.2.5) vs 297 (9.2.1)
You can think if I get the ''embedded updates'' out of the second folder then the number would be identical but NO. only some updates match in both folders.
I have also noticed that the option per selected language x86 cross product (desktop only) does not download the folder with updates so this options is totally useless. (at least it's not available in the ISO)

more details, I have selected the option ''include service packs'' and it only downloads the SP3. why ????
I' am already using SP3 but if this software detects it then it should either download nothing or download them all SP1, SP2, SP3
don't know why the service pack thing is not available on the final window in which you select everything you want to install in your PC ???

another strange thing by taking a look at the updates release date... they start out since 2004, 2005, 2006.. and so on.
why the hell is it downloading things that are already included in SP3 ???
if this program is aimed at downloading ALL then it should download thousands of updates not just 297 random updates,,,,

I don't want to say it but I do.... this software is junk and far from being perfect
I still don't understand why it downloads updates for german language or updates non compatible with this Windows version... :roll:
however it misses some Visual basic versions that are compatible....
caliber

Postby boco » 24.10.2019, 10:02

First, the ESR is not really actively maintained, anymore. It only exists due to MS releasing out-of-band emergency updates long after the EOL. The filters and rules for creating media might be off, and some static download links wrong. Everything has since moved on, and MS might soon begin removing some XP links from their servers. Eventually, they will purge XP and the EOL Offices from their catalog, too. When that happens, this ESR becomes worthless.

more details, I have selected the option ''include service packs'' and it only downloads the SP3. why ????
WOU is intended to be used for multiple target OS on unknown patch levels. It is not intended for creating a tailor-made media for one target system.
So, if you include Service Packs, the created media contains SP3 and supports updating Windows XP RTM, SP1, SP1a, SP2, and SP3 (first the latest SP, then the rest of the patches). If, however, you are on SP3 already, uncheck the SP option. The resulting media will NOT contain SP3 and only support updating Windows XP SP3.

I' am already using SP3 but if this software detects it then it should either download nothing or download them all SP1, SP2, SP3
Nope, Service Packs are cumulative, SP3 contains all previous ones. Only the latest one is required.

don't know why the service pack thing is not available on the final window in which you select everything you want to install in your PC ???
That's because it is not required. WOU is only for bringing a system up-to-date (security-wise). It makes no sense giving you the choice to install an older SP, as that wouldn't be secure. Plus, the normal patches determined and downloaded by WOU for inclusion into the media absolutely require the latest SP. In other words, the media contains only the XP security patches released after SP3, not anything prior.

why the hell is it downloading things that are already included in SP3 ???
See above, the filters might not be accurate, anymore. Did you extract the WOU archive completely, preserving the complete directory structure? If not, that explains.
Plus, even SP3 does not contain absolutely everything released.

I don't want to say it but I do.... this software is junk and far from being perfect
I still don't understand why it downloads updates for german language or updates non compatible with this Windows version... :roll:
however it misses some Visual basic versions that are compatible....
Development focus is on the main package. Nobody really cares about XP, anymore, including MS.

''embedded updates''
As I see it just now, WOU never has, does not and never will support any embedded versions. Especially the "POSReady" hack is not in WOU, and all XP Embedded updates not included.
boco

Postby caliber » 25.10.2019, 02:03

Thanks for clearing this up.

That's because it is not required. WOU is only for bringing a system up-to-date (security-wise).

if it's not required then the SP3 option should appear in grey which is the case of NET framework (already installed) however the SP3 option is totally missing.

Development focus is on the main package. Nobody really cares about XP, anymore, including MS.

because only few people know that there are some web browsers still being updated for XP otherwise XP market share would be higher.
there are things I miss on W7 and W10 is totally garbage to me nor I want to get spied on by american government

As I see it just now, WOU never has, does not and never will support any embedded versions.

take a look at the screenshot below. I have not installed the POSReady patch but I can see a bunch of embedded updates (ESR program doesn't download them) :roll:

Did you extract the WOU archive completely, preserving the complete directory structure?

I'm just comparing ISO's content by now but have not installed anything on my main PC.

caliber

Postby boco » 27.10.2019, 11:52

if it's not required then the SP3 option should appear in grey which is the case of NET framework (already installed) however the SP3 option is totally missing.
It's actually easy: Uncheck the download option for including SPs, and there won't be any on the media created.

Case one, SP included: The media can update all XP. Latest SP will be installed if missing. Reboot, then the other patches.

Case two, SP not included: The media can only be used on XP SP3. Otherwise you'll get an error.

As being on the latest SP is mandatory, there doesn't need to be any setting when installing.

because only few people know that there are some web browsers still being updated for XP otherwise XP market share would be higher.
there are things I miss on W7 and W10 is totally garbage to me nor I want to get spied on by american government
I know of MyPal, RetroZilla and Co. But, it's not the browsers alone. Many packages today support XP only in an older legacy package (e. g. Avast AV, MBAM), or not at all. You have to work more and more with outdated stuff.

I'm just comparing ISO's content by now but have not installed anything on my main PC.
Not what I meant. The original WOU archive must be extracted correctly. All directory structures must be preserved, and the ZoneIdentifier needs to be stripped if present. Otherwise, the filters that determine which updates belong to which ISO and where, don't work correctly and you end up with an update mess. It would explain the weird kind of ISO you got.
boco

Postby caliber » 28.10.2019, 02:40

It's actually easy: Uncheck the download option for including SPs, and there won't be any on the media created.

I have downloaded 4 ISO's for each individual Windows version and will decide in the future which ones I have to delete or edit in order to add more things.
1- only updates
2- updates + service pack
3- updates + NET framework and Visual C++
4- updates + SP + NET + C++ (except defender/essential antivirus that is totally useless)

As being on the latest SP is mandatory, there doesn't need to be any setting when installing.

what I meant to say is that the SP option is not blurred as is the NET framework already installed

Many packages today support XP only in an older legacy package (e. g. Avast AV, MBAM), or not at all.

if you are aware of what you download or click or execute there should be no issues I know Avast is a great tool when needed but I don't have any anti virus installed.

You have to work more and more with outdated stuff.

if you are a gamer you have no other choice than switching to W7 and later.
for my personal usage I don't miss any important tool and I can live with XP while web browsers are getting updated
web browser is the true killer of Windows, if there was no alternative to I.Explorer then XP would likely be dead long years ago.

Otherwise, the filters that determine which updates belong to which ISO and where, don't work correctly and you end up with an update mess.

I download one ISO and delete the entire WSUS folder, download another ISO and so on... there is nothing mixed up there

I have realized that the 9.2.1 and lower versions download ''embedded'' updates however the 9.2.2 up to 9.2.5 do only download normal updates.
I know that updates sometimes get replaced by newer ones but this is not the case...

where do the embedded updates (121) come from ?
why doesn't the 9.2.5 version download embedded updates ?
are embedded updates the same as POSReady updates released till April 2019 ?
caliber

Next

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous