IE6 batch script issue: Would appreciate advice on this!

IE6 batch script issue: Would appreciate advice on this!

Postby Antharro » 10.05.2020, 00:54

There are some very smart people in here so I'm hoping someone can help out.

Scenario: Windows 2000 SP4 installed in VirtualBox with latest VBox additions installed.

I'm trying to get IE6 installed silently. I've extracted all the setup files to a folder. If I run "ie6wzd.exe /q /r:n". This works PERFECTLY from a command prompt. However, if I put this same command into a batch script, the setup program starts but then Windows BSODs. I cannot understand why this is happening and would appreciate any help!
Antharro

Re: IE6 batch script issue: Would appreciate advice on this!

Postby Dalai » 10.05.2020, 02:44

Please post the full command you use in the script, perhaps even the full script. Also please specify where you execute this script, i.e. in wich path.

PS: IE6 setup should be started via ie6setup.exe, not ie6wzd.exe.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Re: IE6 batch script issue: Would appreciate advice on this!

Postby Antharro » 10.05.2020, 04:01

Dalai, thanks for your reply.

Turns out there was something a bit odd with the virtual machine. I nuked it completely, set it up from scratch and the command worked fine.

The command I listed was the only command in the batch file (and the only line in the file), as I built that batch file as a test to find out why my primary batch file (which launched a load of installs in order) was causing a BSOD. If I ran the command from a command prompt, it worked perfectly. If I put the exact same command into a batch file and ran the batch file, it BSODd. After rebuilding the VM, it's now working great in a batch file that runs a load of updates before calling WSUSOffline.

For a broader perspective, I'm trying to build a complete Windows 2000 update package. I'm about 90% of the way there.

WRT to ie6setup vs ie6wzd, I couldn't get ie6setup to install silently or passively, so I extracted it and got ie6wzd working on either the second or third try.

For info, the install files are in the following locations:

C:\INSTALLS <--- all individual updates
C:\INSTALLS\DX9C <--- DX9c Redist
C:\INSTALLS\IE6SP1 <--- IE6 SP1 complete package
C:\INSTALLS\ROOTSUPD <--- rootsupd package extracted

The primary script resides in C:\INSTALLS, however for the purpose of testing, the one line batch script was located in C:\INSTALLS\IE6SP1.

Thanks again!
Antharro

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous