Unfinished installation of the updates

Re: Unfinished installation of the updates

Postby Dalai » 17.07.2019, 19:32

radeo wrote:Yes, KB3000850 was installed as a first one in like 20 minutes or less.

That's good to know. I was afraid disabling Windows Update wouldn't have a positive effect, but it seems to have been the culprit.

As an interesting thing, now I ran Windows Update in Control Panel and whala, 106 updates are avaliable to download.

Yes, this is normal. Once the prerequisite updates are installed, the long update search issue is gone. Furthermore, it's completely normal that Windows Update offers more updates than WSUS Offline because the latter only downloads and installs security updates, nothing beyond that, like e.g. optional updates.

Any new suggestions maybe?

I'd install as many updates via WSUS Offline as possible, then use Windows Update to install the rest, ignoring the optional updates altogether. But, you can install them if you think they're useful. Note that if you don't want the telemetry crap you're better off installing the security-only updates instead of the rollups, but keep in mind that Windows Update doesn't offer security-only updates.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby boco » 17.07.2019, 21:26

Even for security-only, you now need to keep eyes open.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby Dalai » 17.07.2019, 22:22

True, but so far there hasn't been any telemetry in the sec-only updates for 8.1.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby boco » 18.07.2019, 00:49

That was a generic statement. I don't trust these privacy-invading MS punks anymore, not an inch.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby radeo » 18.07.2019, 14:47

Dalai wrote:ignoring the optional updates altogether. But, you can install them if you think they're useful. Note that if you don't want the telemetry crap you're better off installing the security-only updates instead of the rollups, but keep in mind that Windows Update doesn't offer security-only updates.

I had the same in plan regarding the optional downloads. OK. Looked at the Security updates, and in general I agree with you two about those updates.

Dalai wrote:the last version to support Office 2007 is 11.0.3

I tried today 11.0.3 version of WSUS and there was no Office 2007. Then I manually checked a lot of previous versions and the last one including Microsoft Office 2007 updates is WSUS version 9.7.

Dalai wrote:I'd install as many updates via WSUS Offline as possible, then use Windows Update to install the rest

I did and everything went fine, it was a little long in my opinion, 2 hours for 10 smaller updates. Anyhow after the restart I checked again in WUA the available Office 2007 updates and there were still 10 updates listed as they were before the WSUS Office update. So I installed those 10 through WUA "just in case".

aker wrote:Or if you are a little known to command line, install it using DISM, which bypasses WUA.

[edit]
Open an administrative command prompt and enter these commands (the last one will reboot the computer):

Thank you very much. I saved this just in case for the further re-update.
radeo

Postby Dalai » 18.07.2019, 15:53

radeo wrote:I tried today 11.0.3 version of WSUS and there was no Office 2007. Then I manually checked a lot of previous versions and the last one including Microsoft Office 2007 updates is WSUS version 9.7.

Nope, you're wrong. Since 11.0.3 is the last to support Office 2007 and this Office version was nearing end of support at the time, it's already listed on the "Legacy products" tab. Just like Win7 is listed as legacy in the current WSUS Offline version 11.7.x.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby radeo » 18.07.2019, 16:19

Dalai wrote:
radeo wrote:I tried today 11.0.3 version of WSUS and there was no Office 2007. Then I manually checked a lot of previous versions and the last one including Microsoft Office 2007 updates is WSUS version 9.7.

Nope, you're wrong. Since 11.0.3 is the last to support Office 2007 and this Office version was nearing end of support at the time, it's already listed on the "Legacy products" tab. Just like Win7 is listed as legacy in the current WSUS Offline version 11.7.x.

Oo, you are right about that. I looked only at the Office tab where Office 2010, 2013 and 2016 are available only. Once again, thank you very much for assistance.
radeo

Previous

Return to Installation / Updating