what if.. UpdateInstaller

what if.. UpdateInstaller

Postby scubacharlie » 12.07.2019, 09:49

hi, I'm new to wsus so I apologize if my questions are silly!
after a long search on the docs, I can't find the answare to the followings:

1) UpdateGenerator download the update for the PC in which I run it (so have to be used with UpdateInstaller on the same PC),
or is "generic" and can be runned on any other PC with the same version of Windows (i.e. W7 64)

2) what happen if UpdateGenerator download a given update, but, when running UpdateInstaller the update is already installed on the PC?

3) after UpdateInstaller has finished to update the machine, what happen if I run again UpdateGeneator (let say some month later):
does it download only new updates or it download the entire list of updates (including the new ones)?

thanks in andvance for answering

Charlie
scubacharlie

Re: what if.. UpdateInstaller

Postby Dalai » 12.07.2019, 15:26

Hi Charlie.

scubacharlie wrote:after a long search on the docs, I can't find the answare to the followings:

The forum should contain the answers to all questions. But for the record (and because the forum search is ... uh... suboptimal to say the least), I'm going to answer them anyway.

1) UpdateGenerator download the update for the PC in which I run it (so have to be used with UpdateInstaller on the same PC),
or is "generic" and can be runned on any other PC with the same version of Windows (i.e. W7 64)

UpdateInstaller can be run on any (supported) Windows version. And it's quite logical that it doesn't have to be (and the original intention was that it's not supposed to be) the system on which updates are to be installed. Hence the "Offline" part in WSUS Offline Update, i.e. download on one system with internet connection and install on any number of (offline) systems afterwards.

2) what happen if UpdateGenerator download a given update, but, when running UpdateInstaller the update is already installed on the PC?

WSUS Offline's scripts use the Windows Update Agent to determine which updates are missing. Only missing updates are installed. The download part UpdateGenerator however downloads all available security updates for a given OS/software.

3) after UpdateInstaller has finished to update the machine, what happen if I run again UpdateGeneator (let say some month later):
does it download only new updates or it download the entire list of updates (including the new ones)?

Only new updates are downloaded. But, as some threads in the forum indicate, some issues might cause it to download all updates again.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Re: what if.. UpdateInstaller

Postby scubacharlie » 12.07.2019, 16:13

Very clear reply!
Thank you so much Dalai
scubacharlie

Return to Installation / Updating