Problem after Windows 10 update

Problem after Windows 10 update

Postby bobo1704 » 02.03.2019, 15:03

Hello everyone!!
I have problem after updating Windows 10 x64. I run WSUS Offline (latest version), it created a temporary user, after rebooting I installed the updates, but after the last reboot,it cannot log in WOUTempAdmin. It shows that the password is incorrect and does not log in. I formatted again the laptop, rerun everything from the beginning, but after the updating with WSUS, it happened the same problem again. I cannot log in with WOUTempAdmin.
Please help me.

Thank you a lot!
bobo1704

Re: Problem after Windows 10 update

Postby flummie » 02.03.2019, 18:27

in .\doc\faq-enu.txt (in your wsus directory) you find

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: I enabled the "automatic reboot and recall" option, and now my PC automatically logs into the "WOUTempAdmin" account. How can I prevent that and revert to my previous account settings?
A: That issue rarely happens. Please help improve the software by submitting a detailed error report, including the preconditions and how to reproduce the error, to the development team.
To "clean up" your OS do the following:
- Cancel running update scripts using <Ctrl>+C;
- Execute the "CleanupRecall.cmd" script in the "cmd" directory, then reboot.

If it still won't work, follow this guide:
- Log off the "WSUSAdmin" account. While doing this, hold the <Shift> key to prevent automatic login and show the Logon screen instead.
- Log on the "Administrator" account (or an account with administrative rights).
- Check for the existence of a file named "%SystemRoot%\wsusbak-winlogon.reg".
- If the file exists, start the registry editor ([Start - Run...] regedit) and delete the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon". Then merge the backed up values back into the registry by double-clicking the "%SystemRoot%\wsusbak-winlogon.reg" file and confirming the prompt. Then you can delete that file.
- If the file doesn't exist, start the registry editor ([Start - Run...] regedit) and modify some values of the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" as follows:
- DefaultUserName: Administrator (or another user account of your choice)
- DefaultPassword: Delete value
- AutoAdminLogon: Delete value
- ForceAutoLogon: Delete value
- Delete the "WOUTempAdmin" account using the "User accounts" Control Panel item.
- Delete the user profile files if they still exist (XP: C:\Documents and Settings, Vista/7: C:\Users).
- Reboot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that should help you
flummie

Postby TimmW » 11.03.2019, 15:45

Hi,
it just happened to me to have to struggle from the same problem. I have to admit that I am ratehr new to Win10 but have some years of experience on Win7 and before. However:
- got a new "refurbished" Lenovo laptop T450 w/ Win10 Pro 64bit
- what I always do before hooking up such a machine to a network is an update of windows via WSUS
- the system I got was (as usual) configured to log in after booting automatically to an account called "user" (no password, admion privileges... :? )
- I started WSUS offline client update from a stick and activated the "automatic reboot and continue" option
- after the first restart the system asked some basic question which seems usual for a new wind10 user (concerning personal data and usage of it ...) - answering them the update continued flawlessly
- after the second system reboot the log in screen appears with teh note that the user WOUTemAdmin can't be logged in due to a wrong password
- as I have no password for that user I can't log in
- the other problem is that I can not get rid of that - rebooting always forces this WOUTemAdmin trying to log in but - failing - of course. Another user account for log in is not shown or available !?

Hence, I even can not log in as another user or admin to run the mentioned work arounds - is it a problem me not knowing Win10 good enough ? or what to do ?

Thanks and regards,
Timm
TimmW

Postby Dalai » 11.03.2019, 16:16

@TimmW:
Since WOUTempAdmin can't be logged on, you should get an option to log on a different account, shown in the logon screen's lower left corner. Basically log into your normal account, then proceed as described in the FAQ quoted by flummie above.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby TimmW » 11.03.2019, 16:22

Dalai wrote:you should get an option to log on a different account, shown in the logon screen's lower left corner

That's exactly what I would expect but this is missing ! There is nothing showing up in the lower left corner. After some time the screen sets back and the actual date/time appears, pressing any key only yields to the login prompt asking again for the password of WOUTempAdmin anybody knows...
Win10 drives me crazy, where has even the options screen gone when pressing F8 during the windows logo showing up at the start ?
So, system spoiled ? How to set back or recover ?

Thanks and regards,
Timm
TimmW

Postby boco » 11.03.2019, 19:10

Win10 drives me crazy, where has even the options screen gone when pressing F8 during the windows logo showing up at the start ?
Yeah, Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, don't provide that menu by default anymore. To get into repair mode, you need three consecutive unclean shutdowns. From there, you can activate the "Advanced boot options".

It's possible to reactivate the old menu, but that will disable hybrid/fast shutdown/boot.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby TimmW » 11.03.2019, 19:18

Jepp, I read all that in the meantime. What I at least succeeded in was to 'restart' with pressing the shift key - that brings you further to some alternate options. At the end I chose to reset the system completely as I got it basically fresh this morning, so the loss is negligible. But unfortunately it also does not help much to learn from that issue and prevent it from not happen again - is that always a problem with Win10?

Btw: has someone a recommendation for a good tutorial to set Win10 to most of the Win7 functionality? :D
TimmW

Postby boco » 12.03.2019, 00:16

Reboot and Recall can be troublesome, avoid it whenever possible.

You can set some options using this tool: https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby aker » 12.03.2019, 07:13

Might sound like a stupid question, but:
Did you run wsusou in sysprep-mode?
The autoreboot-feature unsupported for different reasons in this situation.
(Besides the fact, that sysprep is behaving strange even on vanilla Windows 10. e.g. messges like „The account is disabled“ after a reboot required for drivers.)

If you want to use the autoreboot-feature please first create a user profile you can login to.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby TimmW » 12.03.2019, 08:50

Hi,

aker wrote:Might sound like a stupid question, but:
Did you run wsusou in sysprep-mode?

Not sure, I guess not. I am not sure about this feature or how to enter this 'sysprep-mode'. Basically, I think I made the mistake to think I could just do the very same to a Win10 system as I was used to apply occasionally for a number (>20+) of Win7 machines in the last few years. And that was a very basic usage approach, I would say, nothing fancy.

aker wrote:If you want to use the autoreboot-feature please first create a user profile you can login to.

Jepp, this I would call currently a good pre-requiste to check before doing the automatic reboot style. At least, after having cleaned and reset the Win10 installation completely, adding a new user with login and password, I could run WSUS as I was used to (though I think it did not do much, bu this I need to check separately...).

Thanks and best regards,
Timm
TimmW

Next

Return to Installation / Updating