WSUS Offline -Downloading only WSUS Approved Updates?

WSUS Offline -Downloading only WSUS Approved Updates?

Postby wilbert » 29.10.2018, 21:33

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if there is an option to force WSUS Offline to only download, and later install, updates approved by a local WSUS server.

For example:

It is currently October and I only want WSUS Offline to pull the latest approved updates (which are September updates) from my WSUS server. Is this possible?
Pointing WSUS Offline to my WSUS sever using the 'WSUS' button in the program seems to have no effect. The system still reaches out to the internet and pulls updates from Microsoft's Windows Update servers.

The next thing I was going to try is to simply delete the unapproved KBs from the 'glb' folder after the downloads are complete though that seems a little tedious.

Thank you for your support!

Will
wilbert

Re: Not all Updates are downloaded..

Postby wilbert » 31.10.2018, 14:56

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but can someone point out there the actual 'UpdateGenerator.ini' is located? I cannot find it anywhere and I would like to update it with 'wsusonly=enabled' in the miscellaneous section.

Thanks!
wilbert

Re: WSUS Offline -Downloading only WSUS Approved Updates?

Postby hbuhrmester » 31.10.2018, 15:45

The option wsusonly should do that. But there is no simple way to select it: You need to edit the settings file UpdateGenerator.ini and add a line to the [Miscellaneous] section:

Code: Select all
wsusonly=Enabled

Then the command-line parameter /wsusonly will be passed to the script DownloadUpdates.cmd.

This only affects dynamic links, which are extracted from the WSUS catalog file.

Static links are still downloaded directly from the Microsoft download servers. This includes all links from the static download files in the directory wsusoffline/static:

• the WSUS catalog file wsusscn2.cab itself
  • virus definitions
  • service packs and other installers
hbuhrmester

Re: Not all Updates are downloaded..

Postby Dalai » 31.10.2018, 16:24

wilbert wrote:I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but can someone point out there the actual 'UpdateGenerator.ini' is located?

See the wsusoffline directory, next to UpdateGenerator.exe. If it's not there, you haven't run UpdateGenerator yet. UpdateGenerator.ini is created when UpdateGenerator is run for the first time (even if it's closed without doing anything with it).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Return to Download