Windows Home Server Updates

Re: Windows Home Server Updates

Postby lioninstreet » 19.07.2018, 20:34

Aker, once again thanks for the arrow pointing. So far so good. As you might have gathered, I'm pretty much learning as I go, so I appreciate your patience answering the noob questions.

In case there were any drivers as part of windows update, I just pulled my data drives out of the server (a HP ex49x) and clean installed the WHS2008 on a spare hard drive instead of setting up a virtual machine. WUMT initially downloaded 167 updates with a few of those specific to WHS. The main one was WHS Power Pack 3. The install disk I am using (HP Server Recovery Disk V3.0 HP ex49x Series 9/2009) appears to have PP2 on it already per a first run of the WUMT update history.

I still have to download & install the found updates with WUMT and run the update/install process a few more time to pickup any remaining updates. As I go I'm copying the updates out of the software distribution/downloads folder for off line storage. Each update folder contains an .exe file with other data.

The KB#'s you found appear to be updates specific to PP3. Since I haven't installed PP3 yet, I can't tell you if WUMT will actually find them when I run a search for downloads again.

From my first post, the writing is on the wall as to when MS will fully discontinue with the WHS updates. What I'm trying to do is have the updates available off line for any potential clean re-installs or recoveries of the OS (once these updates are no longer pushed). What is downloading are folders with .exe files and other data in them as well as what appear to be stand alone .psf files.

So my question here is, Can I use WSUS off line to install the updates I've downloaded or to compile a slipstream disk containing them (I'd prefer the former)? Or, once MS stops the update push (probably in the near future), am I updating the OS by placing the saved updates back into that software distribution/programs folder and then opening each of them one by one to run the .exe file?
lioninstreet

Postby aker » 19.07.2018, 20:56

I actually don't know, if my DVD contains PP3, as I only used it for a test in the past.

You will be still able to use wsusou (== WSUS Offline Update), if MS discontinues updates.
You shouldn't start a new download run as soon as the updates get pulled from wsusscn2.cab (as that will delete updates).

I would create an ISO file and store it in a safe place (also a burnt copy).
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby lioninstreet » 20.07.2018, 01:33

If you built a virtual machine with it that hadn't been updated, you'd think your disk would have PP3 on it if that KB981089 was coming up as an update. Without pp3 that update doesn't appear, the notes show it was released after pp3 to resolve issues related to it.

There were 4 separate rounds of updates totaling 206. After each download and install I copied the contents from the software distribution/programs and saved off line. Interesting that the updates folder remained folder. I checked several of them and the .exe file is still there along with other contents. Could some of the files and or folders have been selectively deleted?
lioninstreet

Postby aker » 20.07.2018, 07:07

I don‘t recommend copying from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ as it is not reliable.
It would be better to select the target updates in WUMT and use the „Copy Link“-button. That‘s more reliable.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

aker

Postby lioninstreet » 20.07.2018, 15:30

I think your suggesting to use WSUS „Copy Link“-button to copy off the w2k3 updates. But using this method WSUS wouldn't grab the WHS power packs and updates.

Are you aware of a more reliable method to get those besides copying out of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\?
lioninstreet

Postby aker » 20.07.2018, 17:44

Using a software like Fiddler or a proxy server to capture the URLs and manually download the files.
aker

aker

Postby lioninstreet » 20.07.2018, 20:55

WUMT will let me copy to clipboard the download link URL's as well. For example KB981089 that you originally found missing on your version came up on the clipboard's download list after the second restart. It's URL is: http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdow ... e5d091.exe

So I think I get it. Use WSUS Update Generator to secure the updates for the root OS. When I have to do a clean install just drop those updates in with update installer. Then once the root OS has been updated, add in the WHS updates sourced from their respective URL's individually by executing the file one by one. Is that what you have been suggesting?

Also, I am presuming that I'd need to use WSUS version 9.2.3 as the OS I am updating is WHS2008. Yes?
lioninstreet

Postby aker » 21.07.2018, 09:30

Then I would suggest you to add the updates, which are not included in wsusou by default, using the "add custom update"-method described in the FAQ.

.\doc\faq-enu.txt wrote:Q: Can I download/install additional patches?
A: Yes, you can adjust how the download and update scripts behave by excluding or adding patches from download or installation. For adding updates proceed as follows:

1. Adding updates to download routines

For adding an update to be downloaded, insert its download URL into the matching "StaticDownloadLinks-<platform>[-architecture>]-<language>.txt file, found in the "...\static\custom" directory. Please don't forget a trailing <CR><LF>.

2. Adding updates to installation routines

Add an update to installation by inserting its knowledge base ID (KBxxxxxx or simply xxxxxx) into the matching "StaticUpdateIds-<platform>[-<architecture>].txt file (directory "...\client\static\custom"). Please don't forget a trailing <CR><LF>.
aker

aker

Postby lioninstreet » 21.07.2018, 20:33

OK I think I'm getting there. You want me to drop the WHS update URL's I found with WUMT into the text file found at Drive:\File Name\WSUS\wsusoffline923\wsusoffline\static StaticDownloadLinks-w2k3-x86-enu.txt (or is it the xxx-esn.txt file) that is English?

I was with you right up to not forgetting a trailing <CR><LF>. Sorry but my DOS coding skills were extremely limited. No clue how to enter that.
lioninstreet

Postby Dalai » 21.07.2018, 20:55

lioninstreet wrote:I was with you right up to not forgetting a trailing <CR><LF>. Sorry but my DOS coding skills were extremely limited. No clue how to enter that.

Just make sure you have an empty line at the end of the file. That's all that "trailing CRLF" means in this regard.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

PreviousNext

Return to Fehlende Updates / Missing updates