Redownloading updates

Redownloading updates

Postby technovelist » 14.06.2017, 14:38

Hi all,

I'm a new user of wsusoffline, so maybe I'm just missing something that someone here can clear up.

What I'm seeing is that it is downloading enormous amounts of data (several gigabytes) even though I ran it a week ago with the same parameters (see attached image). Obviously this reduces its utility because I want it to reduce my bandwidth usage on a capped connectino.

It seems to me that all I should get is the new files, not everything again.

What am I doing wrong, or what don't I understand?

Thanks.
Attachments
params.PNG
(34.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
technovelist

Re: Redownloading updates

Postby aker » 14.06.2017, 18:24

wsusou normally just downloads changed or new files.
The MSSE and Defender Updates often change a lot and on unstable connections download multiple times per run.
Could you provide the content of the log file (.\log\download.log) here?
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby technovelist » 14.06.2017, 21:00

aker wrote:wsusou normally just downloads changed or new files.
The MSSE and Defender Updates often change a lot and on unstable connections download multiple times per run.
Could you provide the content of the log file (.\log\download.log) here?

I would be happy to but the bb software won't let me. I tried attaching a zip file, a text file, and a file with no extension. It won't allow any of those.

Then I tried pasting the whole thing in here but it is too large.

How can I upload the file?
technovelist

Postby Dalai » 14.06.2017, 21:16

@technovelist
Limit the log to the last run and post it in CODE tags, or upload it to an external site (like pastebin.com) and post a link here.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby technovelist » 14.06.2017, 23:46

Thanks for answering.

I put it here:

http://www.steveheller.org/temp/
technovelist

Postby Dalai » 15.06.2017, 02:31

I don't really see any downloads in the range of several GBs on Jun 14th. On this day your WSUS Offline started at 7:38 and finished at 8:05. That's roughly thirty minutes, in which it downloaded (or just validated) the updates for Win7 x64, Office 2013, MSSE, Windows Defender definition files (2x ~100M), the catalog file itself (200M) and some smaller stuff.

Note that MS supersedes most, if not all of the MS Office updates every month, which are indeed around 4 GiB in size. This makes WSUS Offline download the new ones (and delete the superseded ones) every month. Also note that the definition files for Defender/MSSE are nearly always redownloaded because they're updated several times per day.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby technovelist » 18.06.2017, 00:34

Dalai wrote:I don't really see any downloads in the range of several GBs on Jun 14th. On this day your WSUS Offline started at 7:38 and finished at 8:05. That's roughly thirty minutes, in which it downloaded (or just validated) the updates for Win7 x64, Office 2013, MSSE, Windows Defender definition files (2x ~100M), the catalog file itself (200M) and some smaller stuff.

Note that MS supersedes most, if not all of the MS Office updates every month, which are indeed around 4 GiB in size. This makes WSUS Offline download the new ones (and delete the superseded ones) every month. Also note that the definition files for Defender/MSSE are nearly always redownloaded because they're updated several times per day.

Regards
Dalai

Thanks, but then I don't understand why my bandwidth was being consumed to the tune of several GB while running wsusoffline, while watching the actual use on my router. Does wsusoffline use far more data than it downloads?
technovelist

Postby aker » 18.06.2017, 08:36

Are you behind some kind of proxy, which could prevent wsusou from determining, whether the updates changed?
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Return to Download