After WSUS run is the suspicious .NET Framwork updates

After WSUS run is the suspicious .NET Framwork updates

Postby midmaestro » 30.05.2017, 00:16

Hello,
After re-installation of my workstation mainly powered by WSUS packages, there is strange behaviour after Windows Update. Please refer to the attachment for diagnostics.
Some updates failed to install. If I hide them then new updates will come up. They are out of the WSUS process as I observed, and seemingly an intentional disturb to users. Whether it really is Microsoft's or not.
If anyone interested, please help find out if it is some kind of resource hijacking. I don't want to suspect the authority, but as I have grown with versatile knowledge (though not deep enough for any of them) there is a possibility of their misunderstanding of friends and enemies :roll:

After-WSUS-Is-Strange-Behaviour.PNG
(51.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet

System Specs:
ASUS M32AA1 PC
Language chosen as English
All Inbound & outbound rules have been disabled, except for NAT32.

-------------------
midmaestro - A virtual footballing ego of me @fifagamelite
midmaestro

Re: After WSUS run is the suspicious .NET Framwork updates

Postby Dalai » 30.05.2017, 02:04

Apparently you checked Security-Only in UpdateInstaller (nothing wrong with that). AFAIK this leads to the normal and fully intentional behavior of all of the Monthly Rollups being hidden. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to determine whether or not a Security-Only update is missing on the system (the Monthly Rollups kind of supersedes the Security-Only ones). I guess this is not limited to Windows Updates but also for .NET Framework updates, like in your case/screenshot.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby midmaestro » 30.05.2017, 02:28

Dalai wrote:Apparently you checked Security-Only in UpdateInstaller (nothing wrong with that). AFAIK this leads to the normal and fully intentional behavior of all of the Monthly Rollups being hidden.

I forgot to tell the detail: the updates were hidden manually by myself as they cost long time to run and failed in the end.

Best Regards
midmaestro

Postby midmaestro » 30.05.2017, 05:41

But initially the updates were not hidden. I chose to hide them because the long period it took me to install them and failed. What's the probable cause behind that?
midmaestro

Postby boco » 30.05.2017, 06:36

If you hide this month's Security and Quality Rollup, the previous month's will show up. Hide that, and the month's before appear. And so on. That's how supersedence of cumulative updates works in Microsoft land. There's a similar show with Silverlight updates.

You must hide all previous S+Q Rollups, too.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous