Correct Updating Sequence and Disposition of "Client" Folder

Correct Updating Sequence and Disposition of "Client" Folder

Postby wsuuid » 23.04.2017, 14:02

1. I recently saw an advisory that suggested that the entire WSUS app be run from c:\ "root". Is this correct? OR is it fine to simply run it in a "Program Files [Port]" subdir of c:\ ?

2. Another confusing website (not this forum) suggested that after a downloaded series of Updates (say for just Windows 8.1 with .net and Security Essentials that the entire "Client" folder should be deleted after the UpdateInstaller.exe is Run for that most recent "Generation".

Is this true? Should the entire Client folder (presumably having installed the generated updates) then be deleted until the next Updategeneration cycle is done? I did not do this yet, because I am unclear as to whether this Client folder contains key files for future Updates that the next UpdateGeneration will require.

Otherwise, if this entire Client folder can (and should) be deleted that the next UpdateGeneration will *recreate* this folder with all the necessary and "fresh" updates that Windows system tells UpdateInstaller that it *needs*.

So far, I have just run the Generator and then the Installer and assumed that the Client folder would be overwritten with the correct files and that needless files from last updates might be auto-deleted.

Can someone kindly clarify for me the "best practice"???

Thanks!!
-User
wsuuid

Re: Correct Updating Sequence and Disposition of "Client" Fo

Postby Dalai » 23.04.2017, 14:39

wsuuid wrote:1. I recently saw an advisory that suggested that the entire WSUS app be run from c:\ "root". Is this correct? OR is it fine to simply run it in a "Program Files [Port]" subdir of c:\ ?

There's two important things to keep in mind: it's easier to run WSUS Offline from a local drive (HDD, SSD, USB) than from a network drive, and it must be located in a path not longer than 192 characters. Everything else is up to you - so you could have it in "C:\Program Files" if you want to.

2. Another confusing website (not this forum) suggested that after a downloaded series of Updates (say for just Windows 8.1 with .net and Security Essentials that the entire "Client" folder should be deleted after the UpdateInstaller.exe is Run for that most recent "Generation".

That's nonsense. This would not only delete important directories like client\cmd, client\exclude and client\static but also delete all downloaded updates and even the UpdateInstaller itself. Deleting all downloaded updates requires them to be redownloaded the next time UpdateGenerator runs - most likely not what you want.

If the client directory is kept in place, UpdateGenerator will download only new updates and delete old/superseded ones.

Otherwise, if this entire Client folder can (and should) be deleted that the next UpdateGeneration will *recreate* this folder with all the necessary and "fresh" updates that Windows system tells UpdateInstaller that it *needs*.

Some directories will be recreated, yes, but not all of the required ones, as mentioned above.

To summarize: Just keep the directories on a local drive and don't delete them, and WSUS Offline will take care of the rest.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby wsuuid » 30.04.2017, 17:13

OK, so to be clear:

1. No need to purge *any* files from the C:\WSUS\App\client\ subDIRs. (For example, to free space.)

2. Don't worry about the growing collection of .cab files in the C:\WSUS\App\client\w63-x64\glb\ DIR OR that in the w100-x64\glb DIR.

All those .cab files will be auto-purges by WSUS-O itself during each update,yes?

Thx.
wsuuid

Postby boco » 30.04.2017, 20:47

Current WOU versions handle this all by themselves. If Cleanup is not disabled (check in UpdateGenerator.ini) non needed or superseded patches will be purged at the end of each OS/Office download run.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby wsuuid » 03.05.2017, 21:02

I am not using a USB nor creating ISO's.

I am simply relying on the default "client" folder and it is rapidly filling up with .cab's.

So, if I Edit the "UpdateGenerator.ini" file, where I am relying on *internal* update storage (via client folder) AND I am only updating Win 8.1 and no Office stuff, what should be "enabled" or "disabled"??

Currently in this xml file there is a single entry for W8.1 (these are the current defaults as installed):

[Windows 8.1]
glb=Disabled

The relevant remainder controls are:

[ISO Images]
single=Disabled
cross-platform=Disabled
[USB Images]
copy=Disabled
path=
cleanup=Disabled
[Options]
verifydownloads=Disabled
includesp=Enabled
includedotnet=Enabled
seconly=Disabled
includemsse=Enabled
includewddefs=Enabled
[Miscellaneous]
proxy=
wsus=

.....................................................................................................

What should be changed to enable the purging of installed updates after a full WOU "run"??'

Thank you and best regards,

+B
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
wsuuid

Postby boco » 03.05.2017, 21:57

The setting would be "cleanupdownloads". If it is missing, cleanup should be enabled.
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby wsuuid » 04.05.2017, 05:49

OK:

Then if my present setup is:

[Options]
verifydownloads=Disabled
includesp=Enabled
includedotnet=Enabled
seconly=Disabled
includemsse=Enabled
includewddefs=Enabled

I should change it to include a *new* last line as:

[Options]
verifydownloads=Disabled
includesp=Enabled
includedotnet=Enabled
seconly=Disabled
includemsse=Enabled
includewddefs=Enabled
cleanupdownloads=Enabled

I assume the Options section is the correct place for amendment.

Thx.
wsuuid

Postby boco » 04.05.2017, 16:36

You could enter it, but it won't change anything. Cleanup is by default enabled.
It will do Cleanup directly after downloading the dynamic updates, for each OS.
boco

Return to Installation / Updating