Display progress for dynamically determined updates?

Display progress for dynamically determined updates?

Postby bigwave » 14.01.2017, 11:36

Hi,

My suggestion is to display a progress indication for the "dynamically determined updates"

At the moment it just shows something like "Downloading/validating update 15 of 16..." and if you are on a slow internet connection it would be nice to see the same (wget) progress indicator that you get for the 'normal' updates.

Cheers
Ian
bigwave

Re: Display progress for dynamically determined updates?

Postby bigwave » 16.01.2017, 11:52

So I went to have a look at the code where this is done, and, while I'm not a batch file guru, the following change seems to do what I want...

In cmd/DownloadUpdates.cmd
In the DownloadDynamicUpdates section

I changed:
Code: Select all
    %DLDR_PATH% %DLDR_COPT% %DLDR_NVOPT% %DLDR_POPT% ..\client\%1\%2 %DLDR_LOPT% %%j
    if errorlevel 1 (
      echo Warning: Download of %%j failed.
      echo %DATE% %TIME% - Warning: Download of %%j failed>>%DOWNLOAD_LOGFILE%
    )

I removed the %DLDR_NVOPT% and %DLDR_LOPT% options and added logging of success to give the following
Code: Select all
    %DLDR_PATH% %DLDR_COPT% %DLDR_POPT% ..\client\%1\%2 %%j
    if errorlevel 1 (
      echo Warning: Download of %%j failed.
      echo %DATE% %TIME% - Warning: Download of %%j failed>>%DOWNLOAD_LOGFILE%
    ) else (
      echo %DATE% %TIME% - Info: Downloaded %%j to ..\client\%1\%2>>%DOWNLOAD_LOGFILE%
   )

Feel free to implement/amend/improve as you see appropriate.

Ian
bigwave

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 17.01.2017, 16:19

Hi.

Hmm, even using a limited ADSL 2k (2 MBit/s) connection, the download progress looks fast enough, doesn't it?

Cheers,
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby boco » 18.01.2017, 03:16

With the advent of big Rollups it might be a good idea to offer as an option. Sometimes I catch a very slow MS server and having a progress display would be a plus. Additionally, it is already that way for static updates!
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby Rush » 18.01.2017, 19:57

sehr schön, das habe ich mir auch schon gewünscht ;) ... ich finde das wäre eine positive bereicherung für dieses tolle tool :)
Rush

Postby bigwave » 19.01.2017, 23:20

WSUSUpdateAdmin wrote:Hi.

Hmm, even using a limited ADSL 2k (2 MBit/s) connection, the download progress looks fast enough, doesn't it?

Cheers,
Torsten

I'm sad to say that I am now on a 512 Kb connection, yes you read that right a whole 0.5 Mb.

And I've set the .wgetrc to limit wget even further to a third of that (168 Kb) to ensure that other people (there are four people sharing this connection!) can get some bandwidth while this is running

A Gigabyte download can take all day and it's nice to know that wget is still going and to know when it might complete.

I suspect that I am an unusual case, but a bit more information can't hurt?

Cheers,
Ian
bigwave

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 23.01.2017, 16:35

Hi.

:arrow: http://trac.wsusoffline.net/browser/trunk (r853): '- Progress bar will also be shown during download of dynamically determined updates (Thanks to "bigwave")'

Cheers,
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions