Missing Two Updates, Causing WSUS to become stuck

Missing Two Updates, Causing WSUS to become stuck

Postby SirLostSpirit » 15.12.2016, 07:26

For around two months I've had this issue but never posted because I thought it would be patched away soon enough. My process every few weeks is download the latest version of WSUS and copy the entire directory to my USB's.
SanDisk Extreme PRO CZ88 128GB & SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB for reference purposes. Also I clear the directory every time there is a WSUS update so nothing conflicts.
I was using WSUS for many months before this started happening.

I select all applicable updates and turn on Automatic Reboot and Recall.
After the first or second restart the WSUS system continues to search for updates forever. (Left overnight and then some)

I did some searching online and found two updates that resolved my problem. I think the updates are there but are out of order.
Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64 & Windows6.1-KB3083324-x64 (In that order.)

I'm not sure if anyone else has have had this problem. Sadly I haven't had the time to check. (Sorry)
My target operating system is en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939 - Windows 7 Professional x64.
My creation operating system is Windows 10 Pro x64 w/ Anniversary Update. I'm not sure if it started after updating to Windows 10 but that would make me so mad. lol
Problem started around September-October 2016.
I'm currently using WSUS Version 10.8.1.

Thanks for all the work on this amazing software.
Also I hope this is the correct location to post this type bug report. (noob)
SirLostSpirit

Re: Missing Two Updates, Causing WSUS to become stuck

Postby aker » 15.12.2016, 16:46

Wsusou already installs some fixes for Windows Update. They work on the most systems tested. The are
KB3177467
KB3172605

Did wsusou install them? (See c:\Windows\wsusofflineupdate.log for the log file)
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby SirLostSpirit » 15.12.2016, 20:57

Yes WSUS did install both. I doubled checked the logs and I found that after that point it got stuck.
This is the pastebin. http://pastebin.com/NQz2r2uB I wrote "This is where it gets stuck" to mark the location.
SirLostSpirit

Postby Dalai » 15.12.2016, 23:44

WSUS Offline installed both updates but only AFTER your marked location. No wonder why it gets "stuck" because the Update Agent is too old. Actually WSUS Offline should install both mentioned updates pretty much before anything else to avoid long search times and such. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea why it didn't do so on your system; I can't even guess.

Apart from that: the timestamps in your logs are strange - Did you change the time/date on your system somewhere between the WSUS Offline runs?

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby SirLostSpirit » 16.12.2016, 00:07

Yeah sorry about that. The clock wasn't set. I think once it had network access, it set the proper time automatically. If I have the time available, I'll do another fresh instal without internet connectivity. I don't think it will change the end result but it might make a cleaner log file.

It's also weird because update KB3172605 installed twice. Once before it got stuck and then again after I manually Installed the other update. Could this mean that KB3172605 failed to instal?

KB3177467 only installed once according to the log.
SirLostSpirit

Postby Dalai » 16.12.2016, 00:26

SirLostSpirit wrote:It's also weird because update KB3172605 installed twice.

You're right. I missed the first one because I was only looking for the Update Agent version - which was still same after the first installation (attempt) of KB3172605. Did you reboot the system after the first three KBs were installed?

Could this mean that KB3172605 failed to instal?

According to the log: No, since it would record any errors. But you can check Control Panel Windows Update > View View update history for any errors. The list should contain two, but at least one, line(s) regarding this particular update.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby SirLostSpirit » 16.12.2016, 01:42

Yes I restarted after each batch of updates. I usually set it on Restart and Recall but then it gets stuck in a loop. So I did it manually.

I checked the update history and there were some failed updates but KB3172605 was not one of them.
SirLostSpirit

Postby SirLostSpirit » 22.12.2016, 10:39

If there is anything else you want me to provide let me know.
I'm going to be installing Windows 7 Professional x64 to a new computer.

Specifications:
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Processor
GPU: MSI AMD Radeon 240 2GB
RAM: Avexir 1600Mhz 8GBx2: 16GB
SSD: PNY CS1311SSD 120GB
PSU: Corsair CX 430 Watt
ISO: en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939 *Clean* on a flash drive
WSUS: 10.8.1 with all Windows 7 x64 Updates as of 12-22-2016 4:24 AM EST

I set the clock correct this time so I will try to give proper logs. I'll only include logs of when it starts getting stuck.
I will only manually patch it after I upload the log. I will be installing the updates without Automatic Restart and Recall. Only USB 3.0 drivers will be installed before WSUS is run.
SirLostSpirit

Postby SirLostSpirit » 22.12.2016, 11:19

This is the log from the issue. Time shouldn't be messy anymore. The bottom of the log file is where it got stuck. The computer sat for 15 minutes on an SSD while utilizing a very fast USB 3.0 drive.

http://pastebin.com/Eu3KMf0K

I hope I helped.
I am going to manually patch the computer now and continue updating.
Let me know if there is anything I can provide to help.
SirLostSpirit

Postby Dalai » 22.12.2016, 17:26

Set Windows Update to never check for updates, install KB3172605 again (it's clearly not the latest Update Agent installed) and then try WSUS Offline again.

It doesn't make any sense to run WSUS Offline or Windows Update to install Windows updates until Update Agent 7.6.7601.23453 is installed and active. You can check either C:\Windows\wsusofflineupdate.log or the version of C:\Windows\system32\wuaueng.dll file.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Next

Return to Fehlende Updates / Missing updates