WSUS Hanging at Listing Update IDs

WSUS Hanging at Listing Update IDs

Postby ahelton » 13.09.2016, 16:48

Hi,

I've used WSUS Offline Update happily for a while now. It's a great application. Unfortunately, it seems to be hanging at "listing update ids" on a W7 x64 machine I am trying to get up-to-date. I know this can take a while, but I left it running all night last night to no avail. I am wondering if anyone perhaps has a solution I can try to get the updates to install successfully? Currently, I am trying to install updates the old fashioned way as I need to get this computer delivered to someone by tomorrow.

Just as an FYI: I've installed WSUS and all update on a network shared folder. This has worked well for me in the past with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks!
ahelton

Re: WSUS Hanging at Listing Update IDs

Postby boco » 13.09.2016, 20:44

Set Windows Update to "Never search for Updates" and reboot. Then try again. At the very end, set it back to the previous value.

In any other case Windows Update will interfere with WSUSOU operation. MS has screwed it up badly.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby ahelton » 13.09.2016, 23:35

Thanks. I ended up completely disabling Windows Update in Services.MSC and that seems to have fixed the problem. I'll reinstate it after WSUS finishes doing its thing. Appreciate the help.
ahelton

Postby servocrow » 17.10.2016, 22:48

I also had this experience of stalling while listing ID's. I had already set Windows Update to never look for updates. In frustration I opened a command prompt with elevated permissions (start orb, type cmd into the run box, right click on cmd.exe in the list and select run as administrator) when the cmd box opened I typed 'net stop wuauserv' (without the quotes) then pressed enter. Once the service was stopped the listing completed and the updates eventually finished.

I used the above method once the service was stopped I restarted WSUS installer and it worked fine...weird :)
servocrow

servocrow

Postby Tomukas » 09.12.2016, 13:05

Doesn't work for me. If I disable Windows Update Service and run "Update Installer", it starts this service (I can see lines "Starting service Windows Update", "Waiting for service to reach the state "RUNNING"), and in service list I can see, that Windows Update Service is Started, and wsus tools does just the same - stops at "Listing ids of missing updates <please be patient, this will take a while>... - was waiting over the hour :)
Tomukas

Postby zeighty » 10.12.2016, 00:16

Tomukas - I have had the same problem for the past day and half. One updateinstaller.exe starts the Windows Update service, go stop the service and update installer will continue, at least it did for me.
zeighty

Postby boco » 10.12.2016, 01:39

Please, guys, read and follow the instructions correctly.

- Set Windows Update to "Never search for updates". This is NOT the same as disabling the Update service, don't do that!
- Reboot (or restart - NOT disable - the WU service)
- Try again, now Windows Update should not start its own search anymore, which interferes with what WSUSOU does.

It still can take a rather long time, initially.
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 12.12.2016, 14:54

Hi.

boco wrote:[...]
- Set Windows Update to "Never search for updates". This is NOT the same as disabling the Update service, don't do that!
[...]

Exactly this is what should have been done automatically by the installation routine (see ":AdjustWUSvc" in "DoUpdate.cmd").
The implementation manipulated two registry values under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU", according to Microsoft's documentation.

However, this was obviously insufficient for several systems, so I took a look inside a freshly installed W7 and found out that the Control Panel GUI switched "AUOptions" under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" instead of the documented values above, so I now added this.

Cheers,
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby moconnell » 12.12.2016, 16:02

I apologize, but I too am stuck here. I initially had Windows Update set to never run before I even attempted to run WSUSOU, yet I let it run almost 36 hours over the weekend and nothing happened. I am a little torn as to what to do at this point, as some people above are saying they disabled wuauserv service completely after starting the updateinstaller, but then an admin is saying to absolutely NOT do that a few posts later, only restart the service. I am going on 4 days working on this and am starting to panic, as I have never had an issue with this before. I am wondering what the reasoning behind even needing the wuauserv running if the offline installer is doing all the updates on its own anyways? Thanks for any feedback, this is really frustrating when I don't have a WSUS server available to me, and this has always worked in the past.

*EDIT*

I can confirm that running an elevated command prompt and using the 'net stop wuauserv' (no quotes) command, AFTER the initial updateinstaller executable has started. It took 10 minutes or so, but then all of a sudden the updates started running and are still going strong. I am just impatient, sorry.
moconnell

Postby boco » 12.12.2016, 21:27

WSUSUpdateAdmin wrote:Hi.

boco wrote:[...]
[...]

Exactly this is what should have been done automatically by the installation routine (see ":AdjustWUSvc" in "DoUpdate.cmd").
The implementation manipulated two registry values under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU", according to Microsoft's documentation.

However, this was obviously insufficient for several systems, so I took a look inside a freshly installed W7 and found out that the Control Panel GUI switched "AUOptions" under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" instead of the documented values above, so I now added this.

Cheers,
Torsten
The problem with this is that the behavior has been changed by MS (with the latest WUClients, I suppose). Now Windows Update is "Never search for updates" only if BOTH of the following conditions are met:
1. NoAutoUpdate must be 1, AND
2. The AUOptions value must be deleted completely.

The old behavior was, indeed, controlled by AUOptions, entirely. AUOptions=1, to be exact, which now doesn't exist anymore.

_____

moconnell wrote:I apologize, but I too am stuck here. I initially had Windows Update set to never run before I even attempted to run WSUSOU, yet I let it run almost 36 hours over the weekend and nothing happened. I am a little torn as to what to do at this point, as some people above are saying they disabled wuauserv service completely after starting the updateinstaller, but then an admin is saying to absolutely NOT do that a few posts later, only restart the service. I am going on 4 days working on this and am starting to panic, as I have never had an issue with this before. I am wondering what the reasoning behind even needing the wuauserv running if the offline installer is doing all the updates on its own anyways? Thanks for any feedback, this is really frustrating when I don't have a WSUS server available to me, and this has always worked in the past.

*EDIT*

I can confirm that running an elevated command prompt and using the 'net stop wuauserv' (no quotes) command, AFTER the initial updateinstaller executable has started. It took 10 minutes or so, but then all of a sudden the updates started running and are still going strong. I am just impatient, sorry.
While CAB-based updates install using the DISM (servicing) utility and do not need wuauserv, the MSU-based updates install using WUSA, which needs wuauserv.

Essentially, there are two issues disabling or stopping the service:
1. MSU-based install will restart the service, or, if disabled, fail.
2. Stopping the service mid-term will abort the scan and some required updates might not be detected and thus skipped.
boco

Next

Return to Installation / Updating