Installation stuck using wsusoffline 1073

Installation stuck using wsusoffline 1073

Postby anita » 14.08.2016, 21:31

So after installing updates with wsus 1072, the regular WU could not only find but also install a couple of updates on its own. The day after it would hang searching for updates, so in the hopes of being saved again by wsus i downloaded the latest version and tried to install what it found after downloading the updates. It seemed to be taking forever so I let it run the whole night. Sadly the next day it was stuck on the same place it was before (I think, I couldn't be certain). I had to leave so I turned the computer off, I'm not sure if this is a good or bad idea, I dunno how to cancel the installation properly?
Next time I turn the computer on I check the regular WU, and it shows that it's found an important update on the last successful searching for updates (which never showed having found anything, it was simply stuck). I'm not certain if this is relevant to the wsus, but since it's dealing with WU I imagine it could be. So I asked WU to download this update, it remains stuck downloading. The day goes by I turn the computer off and after starting it again, WU itself prompts from the system tray telling me there's an available update. I must say, WU hasn't prompted on its own in months for me. Anyway, I could successfully download and install the last update.
Again WU gets stuck searching for updates so I tried again to run wsus, and it can find the updates but stays stuck installing them. Or at least it's stuck installing this one:
Code: Select all
Starting WSUS Offline Update (v. 10.7.3) at 13:39:43,77...
Checking user's privileges...
Determining system's properties...
Determining Windows licensing info...
Found Microsoft Windows version: 6.1.7601.23418 (w61 x64 enu sp1)
Found Microsoft Windows Software Licensing Management Tool info...
Name: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition
Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_COA_NSLP channel
Partial Product Key: ****** <- I edited it, cause I dunno if it should show it or not*
License Status: Licensed
Found Microsoft Office 2010 Word version: 14.0.7171.5002 (o2k10 x86 esn sp2)
Checking medium content...
Medium build date: 14/08/2016
Medium supports Microsoft Windows (w61 x64 glb).
Medium does not support Microsoft Office (ofc glb).
Disabling screensaver...
Checking Windows Service Pack version...
Checking Windows Installer version...
Checking Windows Script Host version...
Checking Internet Explorer version...
Checking Windows Management Framework installation state...
Checking Windows Defender installation state...
Determining Windows Defender definition file version...
Installing Windows Defender definition file...
Verifying integrity of ..\wddefs\x64-glb\mpas-feX64.exe...
hashdeep64.exe: Audit passed
Installing ..\wddefs\x64-glb\mpas-feX64.exe...
Checking Office Service Pack versions...
Checking Windows Update scan prerequisites...
Installing Windows Update scan prerequisites...
Installing update 1 of 2 (stage size: 160)...
Verifying integrity of ..\w61-x64\glb\Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu...
hashdeep64.exe: Audit passed
Installing ..\w61-x64\glb\Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu...

How many hours should I let it run? is it possible it could take over 24 hrs to install? If this was the case just let me know so I won't stop it, it just seemed way too long the last time I tried, easily around 16 or more hours.
Is there a way to safely cancel the installation? I wouldn't wanna ruin wsus neither my computer, ofc.
And what if I download manually this update: KB3172605? <- the one that's stuck with
anita

Re: Installation stuck using wsusoffline 1073

Postby Denniss » 14.08.2016, 22:08

Please try disabling windows update (set it tio "do not search for updates) then reboot the system. The run update installer again to get this update hopefully installed. You may be prompted to restart multiple times. If the program tells you "nothing to do" re-enable windows update.
Denniss

Postby anita » 14.08.2016, 23:42

Denniss wrote:Please try disabling windows update (set it tio "do not search for updates) then reboot the system. The run update installer again to get this update hopefully installed. You may be prompted to restart multiple times. If the program tells you "nothing to do" re-enable windows update.

Thank you! I will try this.
anita

Postby mrj » 15.08.2016, 04:26

Thanks for that Denniss, works now flawless! :D

Denniss wrote:Please try disabling windows update (set it tio "do not search for updates) then reboot the system. The run update installer again to get this update hopefully installed. You may be prompted to restart multiple times. If the program tells you "nothing to do" re-enable windows update.
mrj

Postby aker » 15.08.2016, 08:31

@WSUSUpdateAdmin
Could we implement this?
I know, that wsusou shouldn't disable WU, but what about reading the old value, then creating an autorun resetting that var to its previous state on reboot (using RunOnce) and then disabling WU. (All before wsusou restarts wuauserv, to enforce WU not to search for updates)
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby anita » 15.08.2016, 17:52

I did what you suggested, I ran the updateinstaller, it found the updates, and I'm stuck in the exact same place as before with the same update :<
Two small details: wsus never ever asked me to reboot neither while searching for updates nor now while installing them, and also I never saw the updateGenerator.ini anywhere. I think it was supposed to show up, but it never did. I'm saying this cause it could be related, I don't know. What should I do?
anita

Postby Denniss » 16.08.2016, 08:20

AFAIR the .ini file is saved after closing the .exe and should appear next to the .exe
Please try to manually install the hanging update - it may show an error message. It's in \client\w61-x64
Denniss

Postby anita » 16.08.2016, 17:38

Denniss wrote:AFAIR the .ini file is saved after closing the .exe and should appear next to the .exe
Please try to manually install the hanging update - it may show an error message. It's in \client\w61-x64

I already tried to install it manually, but it gets stuck 'searching for updates on this computer' :/
The .ini wasn't ever present, I remembered it cause last time I didn't extract the wsus the red flag was that it was nowhere around, and now it's been extracted ofc, I'm running it from my computer but it was never present.
In client\w61-x64 there was a folder named glb, I opened it and it has many winrar files, some applications and some windows updates. Could I double click and try to run those? I don't wanna ruin the program :s

Edit: now that I pay attention to those WU inside the glb folder, I see they're also called WU standalone installer, the same name of the update I'm trying to manually install. Is there a chance those standalone updates are also getting stuck cause they're searching for updates as well???? No wonder none of them are moving forward :|
anita

Postby boco » 18.08.2016, 00:05

Yes, the *.msu (Microsoft Standalone Update) files are installed using WUSA.exe (the same program that's executed when you double-click them). WUSA.exe directly uses the Windows Update service... :(
Any slowdowns I experienced were always with msu files.

The other updates are CAB files and installed/serviced using DISM - no problems with those, usually.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby anita » 18.08.2016, 17:45

boco wrote:Yes, the *.msu (Microsoft Standalone Update) files are installed using WUSA.exe (the same program that's executed when you double-click them). WUSA.exe directly uses the Windows Update service... :(
Any slowdowns I experienced were always with msu files.

The other updates are CAB files and installed/serviced using DISM - no problems with those, usually.

I deleted the extracted wsusoffline, extracted it again and was gonna give it another shot later today. I'm afraid I'm dead meat then if they use the msu files then lol I never paid attention that it searches for updates :s The last time I used wsusoffline and worked with the 1072 it could install them somehow. I do remember it was stuck for hours, but I went to sleep and the next morning it was installed. This time around it was stuck with the same update after more hours even and nothing. Hoping I'll have more luck with the next wsus version
anita

Next

Return to Installation / Updating