WSUS Offline Updater @ Ubuntu 12.04 [Fast and dirty manual]

WSUS Offline Updater @ Ubuntu 12.04 [Fast and dirty manual]

Postby Patrick » 09.05.2013, 13:26

Hallo,

have had some issues with windows, was fed up about this OS and decided to use Ubuntu Linux as Main OS.

For my job, which consists of Offline Windows Patching, I need this WSUS Offline Updater Software. Often, I run the software from home in order to prepare the actions for the next working day.

I have put in a kwik way all the required steps together, please do not expect an handout witch thousands of screenshots, only a few lines of notes.

All steps are tested and working fine for me!

Here we go:

################################

Installation / User Manual of WSUS offline updater in Ubuntu 12.04

- Download the most actual version from wsusoffline.net

- create a folder in /home/<username>/ and call it wsus
-> /home/<username>/wsus
(you can create a folder somerwhere else and name it, like you want. This scheme is working fine for me.)

- Unzip the donloaded WSUS Offline Software into the mentioned folder "wsus", by clicking the right mousbutton and choose "Open by Archive Manager", follow the instructions there

- Open a Shell (Terminal) by pressing ALT CTRL T

- chmod 777 the folder wsus
- cd wsus/wsusoffline/sh
- chmod 777 DownloadUpdates.sh
- sudo apt-get install xmlstarlet
(needed for feeding the xml - files with the download links)
- start the downloader script:
./DownloadUpdates.sh

- Follow the instructions on the screen, you will be asked for the version, .Net and all the other stuff, you should know from the graphical version

- Download starts, be patient, a few informations will be displayed, but no progess bar or something similar. Watch the blinking cursor ;-)

- If the downloads has been finnished, a ISO file will be created in /wsusoffline/iso (depends, if these option has been choosen)

Patrick

Re: WSUS Offline Updater @ Ubuntu 12.04 [Fast and dirty manu

Postby hhullen » 13.05.2013, 12:33

Patrick wrote:Hallo,

have had some issues with windows, was fed up about this OS and decided to use Ubuntu Linux as Main OS.

For my job, which consists of Offline Windows Patching, I need this WSUS Offline Updater Software. Often, I run the software from home in order to prepare the actions for the next working day.

I have put in a kwik way all the required steps together, please do not expect an handout with thousands of screenshots, only a few lines of notes.

All steps are tested and working fine for me!

Here we go:

[...]

Sorry - that's not enough!

Please take a look at http://helmut.hullen.de/Rechnerraum/wupdate.html
There you can see how the directory should be included in the samba configuration (because the windows clients need samba to see that directory), and you can see an example for the cronjob which automatically refreshes the directory.

Maybe some steps may differ a bit for different distributions.
Viele Grüsse
Helmut
hhullen

Postby Patrick » 16.05.2013, 13:23

Hallo Helmut,

you are right, to distribute the files internally beside a LAN, a server and, of corse, a samba config is necessary.

We do not use a file distribution server, therefore, i forget to mention it in my description.
The target was simply to get the patches and create a cd.

Best regards,

Patrick
Patrick

Postby oiaohm » 19.11.2013, 04:55

Helmut Is there a english version of this. http://helmut.hullen.de/Rechnerraum/wupdate.html

My german is horiblelly bad. I think I am working out head and tails of it fairly well with assistance of google translate. There is a adnormality.

/ srv/backup/update and /path/to/[wsusoffline]/ sh don't line up. Am I right in guessing that / srv/backup/update should be /path/to/[wsusoffline]/client. Could be in transation I am missing something or I am missing option to set.

Patrick and Helmut something most people don't know you can mount a ftp server or webdav server as a drive letter under windows. http://www.7tutorials.com/how-map-drives-windows-7 There is also the ftpuse cmd under windows. Patrick and Helmut there should be no requirement to set up samba. The requirement is must be able to assign a drive letter. Samba or ftp server or webdav should do the job. ftp will not be encrypted. webdav can be encrypted. Learnt the ftp trick when doing repairs in a IT shop. Both webdav and ftp will allow updating from computers not owning to the same workgroup/domain.

Yes IT shop configuration would be ftp or webdav. Yes our common tools was ftp annoymous login of course. You don't want to join computers to domain or workgroup all the time you want to leave the client setting alone. So connecting to a local ftp server was a cool work around.

Patrick please stop using chmod 777. This is bad for OS secuirty. 775 is as high as you should go. Preferece to 755. It is bad form to give all uses write to anything.
oiaohm

Return to Linux