A complete rewrite of the Linux scripts

Re: A complete rewrite of the Linux scripts

Postby Dalai » 19.07.2017, 18:55

lindesbs wrote:So, this directory will grow larger than 30GB.

I need bigger USB sticks

You can use whatever type of storage you want. Within the same network - including VMs - a network share is the most simple and comfortable one IMO. You can also skip directories you don't need on the target system when copying the wsusoffline\client directory, if so required. If you don't have any MS Office installed on the target machine, then skip wsusoffline\client\ofc directory; if you don't have Win8.x/Server 2012 on the target machine, then skip wsusoffline\client\w62 and w63 directories, and so on.

I only use network shares myself, so I don't have to mess around with storage media or worry about how to get the update files to the target machine(s).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby udo2toni » 20.07.2017, 21:16

How do I have to configure Samba to do this?

I'm using User/Password authentification for Samba shares.

If starting the UpdateInstaller.exe as a normal User it will ask for Superuser Permission, but then there is no Access to the Samba Share anymore. If trying to start the Software as a Superuser, this will fail for the same reason, so the only way is to copy the whole set of files to the client...

Obviously, I made some mistakes in Samba Configuration?
udo2toni

Postby aker » 20.07.2017, 22:51

No, that's caused by the Network drive management of Windows.
I'd suggest you to run UpdateInstaller.exeusing the UNC-path. When using an auth-free path, wsusou (just UpdateInstaller.exe, none of the CMD-files) is able to auto-mount it.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to sell it.
aker
aker

Postby boco » 22.07.2017, 01:13

Running normally vs. running with elevated rights, that's technically like two different users for network shares. If you use a mapped resource, you need to assign it two times: Once as normal user and once as Superuser. Otherwise, the share is simply gone after the user context switch.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media creator: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Release Notes for Version 1.0-beta-5

Postby hbuhrmester » 26.08.2017, 08:52

Release Notes for Version 1.0-beta-5

Release date: 2017-08-25
Intended compatibility: WSUS Offline Update Version 11.0.1 and newer

This version offers the following changes:

• The documentation files Quick_installation_guide.txt and Kurzinstallationsanleitung.txt were renamed in version 1.0-beta-4. If the old files are still present, they are removed now.

• The environment variables $LINES and $COLUMNS are set to 24x80, if the script runs as a cron job.

If the script runs within a terminal emulator window, it should get the real window dimensions with tput.

This was reported by "mani" in viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6180&start=20#p23381

• The calculation of the file ExcludeList-superseded-seconly.txt was simplified.

This calculation now respects the additional configuration files for security only updates of the .NET Frameworks.

• A new function seconly_safety_guard tries to make sure, that the configuration files for security only updates are updated after the official patch day.

The download and installation of security only updates depends on the configuration files:

Code: Select all
    wsusoffline/client/exclude/HideList-seconly.txt
    wsusoffline/client/static/StaticUpdateIds-w61-seconly.txt
    wsusoffline/client/static/StaticUpdateIds-w62-seconly.txt
    wsusoffline/client/static/StaticUpdateIds-w63-seconly.txt

These files must be updated after each official patch day, which is the second Tuesday each month. They are needed to prevent WSUS Offline Update from downloading and installing full quality update rollups as well.

The function seconly_safety_guard compares the modification dates of the configuration files to the date of the official patch day, to make sure, that the files have been updated. Otherwise, the download will be postponed.

This problem is discussed in the forum at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6897

Note: The first post with the introduction and the download links ( viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6180#p21327 ), and the installation guides in English ( viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6180#p21449 ) and German ( viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6180#p21450 ) have been updated to point to the new release.
hbuhrmester

Previous

Return to Linux