Missing kb4103720 for WIndows 2016 updates

Missing kb4103720 for WIndows 2016 updates

Postby montysidhu » 22.08.2018, 16:09

It seems like the updater missed the kb4103720 patch for 2016. I copied it to the ~w100-x64\glb folder too BUT when I rant the update it did nto apply. I was able to manually install it. Also if I go to Windows updates , it shows that kb4103720 is essential. It also did not install the kb4132216 patch although it was already present in the ~w100-x64\glb folder.

If we have updates that are not installed, can we configure it in any way so those additional custom updates are applied once this software is done with the ones it seems to want to install?
Will appreciate your help. For now i Have copied it to a a separate folder and use powershell to install them sequentially after the reboot.
Thanks
montysidhu

Re: Missing kb4103720 for WIndows 2016 updates

Postby Dalai » 22.08.2018, 18:35

Both of the updates (KB4103720 and KB4132216) don't seem to be in catalog used by WSUS Offline (wsusscn2.cab) - I didn't find them in there.

Regarding the download and/or installation of additional/custom updates, please see wsusoffline\doc\faq-enu.txt (search for "additional").

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby montysidhu » 22.08.2018, 19:14

Thanks Dalai. I see you seem to help with most of the questions in the forums. In addition to the two updates there is another large update KB4343887 which was present in the ~w100-x64\glb folder as a .cab file and I assume it should have been installed BUT it never got installed. I am now installing it manually. When I check for windows updates directly there are some more that are coming up.

""""Re: Both of the updates (KB4103720 and KB4132216) don't seem to be in catalog used by WSUS Offline (wsusscn2.cab) - I didn't find them in there.""""

Are you saying that if I extract the MSU and place the cab files there, they will get installed? Please clarify.

""""Regarding the download and/or installation of additional/custom updates, please see wsusoffline\doc\faq-enu.txt (search for "additional").""""

Can you please provide the link to this. I was unable to search for this in the forum.

And I really appreciate your time and expertise. Thanks a lot.
montysidhu

Postby Dalai » 22.08.2018, 20:43

montysidhu wrote:In addition to the two updates there is another large update KB4343887 which was present in the ~w100-x64\glb folder as a .cab file and I assume it should have been installed BUT it never got installed.

Mmh, can't say why. It's the latest cumulative update for August 2018. Note that the presence of this update explains why KB4103720 (cumulative update, May 2018) is not installed: because it's superseded by the current KB4343887 one eventually. See the list on the left side on this MS page.

When I check for windows updates directly there are some more that are coming up.

This is normal because of two things: The catalog used by WSUS Offline is provided by MS and only contains security updates. Windows Update on the other hand offers much more than that, also non-security updates may be listed there. Secondly, some updates might have prerequisites i.e. require other updates to be installed before they're offered.

Are you saying that if I extract the MSU and place the cab files there, they will get installed? Please clarify.

No, that's not what I meant. MS provides a catalog for offline use, named wsusscn2.cab; you can see it in the wsusoffline\client\wsus directory on your disk. This catalog contains information about all current security updates released by MS since probably XP or so. Whenever new updates are released, older updates might get removed because they're replaced/superseded by newer updates. That's usually why the older updates are not found, downloaded and installed by WSUS Offline. Having said that, I currently have a strange thing with WSUS Offline, but I digress (and it's literally another topic).

WSUS Offline uses this catalog to download all current updates for the Windows/Office version(s) you select. It also uses the catalog to "feed" the Windows Update Agent to determine which updates are missing, and install the updates accordingly.

Can you please provide the link to this. I was unable to search for this in the forum.

Not the forum. Check the mentioned directory on your disk, open the FAQ file and search for "additional" in it. You should find this:
Code: Select all
Q: Can I download/install additional patches?
A: Yes, you can adjust how the download and update scripts behave by excluding or adding patches from download or installation. For adding updates proceed as follows:

1. Adding updates to download routines

For adding an update to be downloaded, insert its download URL into the matching "StaticDownloadLinks-<platform>[-architecture>]-<language>.txt file, found in the "...\static\custom" directory. Please don't forget a trailing <CR><LF>.

2. Adding updates to installation routines

Add an update to installation by inserting its knowledge base ID (KBxxxxxx or simply xxxxxx) into the matching "StaticUpdateIds-<platform>[-<architecture>].txt file (directory "...\client\static\custom"). Please don't forget a trailing <CR><LF>.
The CRLF means a linebreak, i.e. an empty line at the end of the file.

Please keep in mind that you should only add static updates if you're absolutely sure that you need them and they don't do any harm to other OS versions you're using WSUS Offline on! MS doesn't differentiate the updates for Windows 10 in their catalog, hence WSUS Offline doesn't do, too.

But installing updates for the wrong Windows 10 release can cause problems, as you probably know or can guess. Also beware that some updates might have prerequisites, mostly Servicing Stack Updates in the case of Windows 10. This is also true for KB4343887 and KB4103720.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby montysidhu » 22.08.2018, 21:11

Thanks for all the details Really helpful in understanding this product. I was using SCCM for a while BUT it takes too much time especially on cluster patching. This thing reduced the time to an hour.

Thanks again.
montysidhu

Return to Fehlende Updates / Missing updates