8 updates installed out of 45...

8 updates installed out of 45...

Postby forumboy » 01.03.2016, 16:12

Hi,
We are using a WSUS server for updating of patches. We have some machines that are not supposed to be on network so in order to update windows patches i tried this tool.
Before I started, windows updates were saying that there are 45 important updates ( i connected the machine to the wsus network and clicked "search for updates" to get this number). I let the wsus updater run and collect all updates, transfered the "client" folder to the machine that is to be updated and run the updatertool.

The update process took like an hour and I was greeted by a cmd window telling me that ""Installation successful. Please reboot your system now and recall Update afterwards."
So I rebooted the computer and clicked "search for updates" again in windows updates. The total number of updates grew to 47 :? ?

I foud the wsus offline updater log file and according to the log; 8 updates got installed.

So my question is how is it possible that it installed 8 updates when i needed 45 and ended up with needing 47 AFTER the install?
forumboy

Re: 8 updates installed out of 45...

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 01.03.2016, 16:52

Hi.

Please note viewtopic.php?f=6&t=172.

Regards,
T. Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby aker » 01.03.2016, 18:37

Also some updates depend on others, most likely wsusou installed updates, other updates rely on.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby forumboy » 02.03.2016, 09:24

Is there a way to include those updates that didnt get installed? I see its possible to exclude updates but Im unable to find a description on how to include them
forumboy

Postby boco » 02.03.2016, 13:51

You are supposed to run the update Installer until it is done. As long as it tells you to reboot and recall, it is NOT done.

Installing all updates in one go is not possible and would create a mess. If you, for example, install .NET Framework or the most recent IE, the update list may grow as the security updates for those components are added. THe IE or Dotnet packages don't include later security patches.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby forumboy » 02.03.2016, 14:36

boco wrote:You are supposed to run the update Installer until it is done. As long as it tells you to reboot and recall, it is NOT done.

Installing all updates in one go is not possible and would create a mess. If you, for example, install .NET Framework or the most recent IE, the update list may grow as the security updates for those components are added. THe IE or Dotnet packages don't include later security patches.

You are very correct, Thanks alot!
Ran it a couple of times and now its only 3 updates missing, which are some un-important updates.

Also, I ran the "update.bat" file after the first time, is this correct or am I supposed to run the "updateinstaller.exe" every time?
forumboy

Postby boco » 02.03.2016, 15:45

Depends. The UpdateInstaller.exe is simply a GUI for the batch files. In case you want to install manually, using the GUI is the way to go, as it runs the update.cmd with the correct parameters, according to your selections.

For unattended installations, it is possible to run update.cmd without the GUI. To get correct results, include the desired parameters to control optional features and behavior. Following is a short snippet of ./cmd/DoUpdate.cmd, listing possible parameters.

Code: Select all
if /i "%1"=="/verify" set VERIFY_MODE=/verify
if /i "%1"=="/skipieinst" set SKIP_IEINST=/skipieinst
if /i "%1"=="/updatecpp" set UPDATE_CPP=/updatecpp
if /i "%1"=="/instmssl" set INSTALL_MSSL=/instmssl
if /i "%1"=="/instdotnet35" set INSTALL_DOTNET35=/instdotnet35
if /i "%1"=="/instdotnet4" set INSTALL_DOTNET4=/instdotnet4
if /i "%1"=="/instpsh" set INSTALL_PSH=/instpsh
if /i "%1"=="/instwmf" set INSTALL_WMF=/instwmf
if /i "%1"=="/instmsse" set INSTALL_MSSE=/instmsse
if /i "%1"=="/updatetsc" set UPDATE_TSC=/updatetsc
if /i "%1"=="/instofv" set INSTALL_OFV=/instofv
if /i "%1"=="/instwle" set INSTALL_WLE=/instwle
if /i "%1"=="/instmsi" set INSTALL_MSI=/instmsi
if /i "%1"=="/autoreboot" set BOOT_MODE=/autoreboot
if /i "%1"=="/shutdown" set FINISH_MODE=/shutdown
if /i "%1"=="/showlog" set SHOW_LOG=/showlog
if /i "%1"=="/all" set LIST_MODE_IDS=/all
if /i "%1"=="/excludestatics" set LIST_MODE_UPDATES=/excludestatics
if /i "%1"=="/skipdynamic" set SKIP_DYNAMIC=/skipdynamic
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Fehlende Updates / Missing updates