missing updates in WSUS 8.4

missing updates in WSUS 8.4

Postby glrider » 19.07.2013, 06:41

I am trying to find a way to get my machine to a point where all software that I want is installed, all windows and office updates are applied without ever having to connect to the internet. This has turned out to be challenging and I was previous shot down on a differnt forum for wanting to do such a thing. My goal was to be 99% sure of having a machine that was virus and malware free as it had never connected to the internet. I started downloading and saving msupdates, but that worked until I had an update that wasn't an exe file, or had multiples files included in the update. There were no instructions on which file had to be done first, or even if all of them had to be executed.

Using WSUS doesn't seem to be working either because even after running the generator and installer, windows update says there are still updates that need to be aplied. I don't understand why these are not getting downloaded via WSUS. I have even tried version 8.4. The following updates do not seem to get generated when I run the 8.4 generator.

KB968389 Update for Windows XP
KB2749655 Update for Windows XP
KB890830 Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool July 2013
KB982524 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 update for Windows
KB951978 Update for Windows XP
KB961118 Update for Windows XP

I would gladly donate to the cause but I have to be sure it is going to work for me. In addition to the above could someone tell me what is the lastest release of WSUS I can use for Windows XP 32 bit and Office 2002?
glrider

Re: missing updates in WSUS 8.4

Postby aker » 19.07.2013, 11:01

For Windows XP you can use the current version, for Office 2002 Version 6.9.
But if you want to use Version 6.9, you need to read this thread, because some URL's wsusou relies on, have been changed.

To the second point - the missing updates - please take a look at this:
:arrow: Abdeckung des / Coverage of WSUS Offline Update
It is not possible to include all optional updates without having to update the program each patchday.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby glrider » 21.07.2013, 04:52

hi aker,

Thank you very much for your response.

I understand the work that must be involved in keeping the program up to date. Are you looking for volunteers to help?

You mentioned about optional updates, but three of the ones I listed are crucial according to microsoft update catalog, and I don't believe they are new as I had dowloaded them from MUC some time ago.

I will check the links you provided.
glrider

Postby glrider » 21.07.2013, 05:09

Hi Aker,

I guess things have changed. I had 6.9 installed already so I tried it and the lowest version it shows for office is 2003. I tried to re-download it but got the same thing. I will try version 6.8.6.
glrider

Postby aker » 21.07.2013, 11:04

Check on the "Legacy Products" Tab of UpdateGenerator. Accoding to the history.txt Version 6.9 is the latest one supporting Office XP
history.txt wrote:- NOTE: This version is supposed to be the last one supporting Office XP (see http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2533)

wsusou does not use the Microsoft Update Catalog Webiste to determine the required Updates, it uses the file wsusscn2.cab (as the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser does).
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

aker

Postby glrider » 21.07.2013, 17:21

Hi aker,

In the 'Coverage of WSUS Offline Update' there was the following comment from Torsten Wittrock;

'and you also may add any optional update of your choice to both download and installation parts using statical definitions.'

Do you know of there is any documentation on how to do this? I checked the documentation and the references tabs but couldn't find anything.
glrider

Postby aker » 21.07.2013, 19:15

Just create a text document in .\static\custom named "StaticDownloadLinks-<your OS>-<your Architecture>-<your language>.txt" and put the download links inside; also add an empty line at the end. (For names see .\static)
This will download the updates. For installation create a text document named "StaticUpdateIds-<your OS>-<your Architecture>.txt" and put the KB-Number (just the number) with a new line at the end inside.

For an example: :arrow: take a look at this topic
aker

aker

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 21.07.2013, 21:20

It's described in the FAQs also.
RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Fehlende Updates / Missing updates