Miscellaneous runtimes

Miscellaneous runtimes

Postby BrentNewland » 07.01.2011, 18:51

I'm wondering if miscellaneous runtimes could be an option for WSUSOffline

e.g. http://www.ghacks.net/2009/11/07/instal ... e-runtime/ and http://www.alexnolan.net/runtime/

Visual C++ (all the different years?)
Visual Basic
WSE for .net
Visual J#
Microsoft Access Runtime
Unified Communications Managed API Runtime
Visual Fox Pro
Silverlight? (I couldn't see this in the client folder, but I thought it was there)

Also, an option for the most common 3rd party runtimes (Java, Flash, Shockwave) would be nice.
BrentNewland

Re: Miscellaneous runtimes

Postby -Iwan- » 07.01.2011, 19:11

Could be an option for what? To be downloaded by WSUSOU?
WSUSOU was created to update a new installed Windows computer with the needed security updates before it accesses the internet.
That you can install Office updates, .NET, MSSE, etc. with WSUSOU is a nice goodie.
To add more and more options would increase it unnecessary (imho).

Java checks itself for updates, also Shockwave, Flash, etc.
WSUSOU is primarily to update Windows.
-Iwan-

Postby BrentNewland » 07.01.2011, 19:22

Could be an option to be installed by WSUSOffline of course. Is there anything else I could have meant by that?

WSUSOffline may have started off as just security updates, but it has clearly evolved beyond that (as you've pointed out, you can install Office updates, .net frameworks, media player, PowerShell, MSSE, Defender, etc.).

Adding frameworks from Microsoft would not "increase it unnecessary". It would allow you to install programs without having to hunt down the runtimes or wait for the program to install it.

Java, Flash, and Shockwave I meant for installing first time (as you pointed out, WSUSOffline was intended for new computers).

If you guys don't want to add it, all you have to say is "No, we won't add those, just because we don't want to". There's no need to beat around the bush.
BrentNewland

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 08.01.2011, 09:24

Please don't argue about wording.
Actually, what I haven't told anyone yet, I'm thinking about integrating installation routines for common free third party software as an extension, e.g. Firefox, JRE, maybe Flash and Shockwave.
I think FoxPro and C++ then should be handled by the customers, because they're not that common.
It'll take some time to find out the best way to integrate 3rd party installers, so please be patient.

Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 02.02.2011, 21:04

Hi!

I researched a little and found powerful, free projects to install/update/manage third party software packages, such as http://www.nabber.org/projects/appupdater/, so I just decided to discontinue working on this.

Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby Beerate » 21.02.2011, 22:17

It is a great piece of soft. But unortunatelly it only supports ENG language apps. But thanks for link. :)
Beerate

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions