[SOLVED] WD definition for W8 or later is not downloaded

[SOLVED] WD definition for W8 or later is not downloaded

Postby telnetuserid » 12.07.2017, 10:01

On Windows Vista and 7, Windows Defender is only protect against spyware. Complete protection by M$ is provided separately by MSE.

On Windows 8 and later, Windows Defender is a full antivirus and antimalware suite. This version is also called Windows Defender Antivirus.

Apparently, the downloaded Windows Defender definition is small one (mpas-fe.exe), which appears to be the definition update for Windows Vista and 7. The definition update for Windows Defender for W8 and later (mpam-fe.exe) is not downloaded, i.e. not present in the client\wddefs\x64-glb folder. More information can be obtained from the WDSI portal [1].

It would be better to provide definition for Windows Defender Antivirus in addition to legacy Windows Defender when the checkbox "Include Windows Defender definition" is selected.

Legacy Windows Defender and MSE update file name is mpas-fe.exe

Windows Defender Antivirus definition update file name is mpam-fe.exe

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions
Last edited by telnetuserid on 13.07.2017, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
telnetuserid

Re: WD definition for W8 or later is not downloaded

Postby psj » 12.07.2017, 10:11

This is already being done.
For Win8+ (w62,w63,w100) MSE definitions are downloaded if Windows Defender is selected.
The Files are stored in client/msse/...

mfg psj
psj

Postby telnetuserid » 12.07.2017, 10:37

In the client\msse folder? Really? I don't see anything there except MSEInstall and nis_full.

I should run updategenerator later, since I got "same day rule" punishment for too many attempts checking for wsusoffline updates.
telnetuserid

Postby boco » 12.07.2017, 12:16

That's not a punishment but a protection against MS' wonky servers. If you delete the hashes in .\client\md (or change their timestamp to the past) you're good to go, again.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby telnetuserid » 13.07.2017, 05:33

boco wrote:That's not a punishment but a protection against MS' wonky servers. If you delete the hashes in .\client\md (or change their timestamp to the past) you're good to go, again.

After running updategenerator at a later time, the mpam-fex64.exe is available inside ./client/msse/x64-glb/ subdirectory.

I think this case is solved.
telnetuserid

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions