Option to Supply Password for WOUTempAdmin account

Option to Supply Password for WOUTempAdmin account

Postby RangerZ » 01.05.2017, 23:07

I'm new here, but have read that the password for the WOUTempAdmin account is random, I assume for security.

I expect that many users are using this in a relatively controlled environment and at this point in the build security is not a concern. Would it be possible to add a new parameter that goes along with "Automatic reboot and recall" allowing the user to supply a defined password. This would allow one to properly recover from a locked session.

Thanks for this fantastic piece of software. Wish I had found it sooner.
RangerZ

Re: Option to Supply Password for WOUTempAdmin account

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 05.05.2017, 14:46

Hi.

RangerZ wrote:[...]Would it be possible to add a new parameter that goes along with "Automatic reboot and recall" allowing the user to supply a defined password. This would allow one to properly recover from a locked session.[...]

I don't think I'll implement this - for pratical and security reasons.
You may of course switch user or just wait if the session is locked.

RangerZ wrote:Thanks for this fantastic piece of software. Wish I had found it sooner.

:)

Cheers,
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Re: Option to Supply Password for WOUTempAdmin account

Postby hr1232 » 04.07.2017, 14:53

WSUSUpdateAdmin wrote:Hi.

RangerZ wrote:[...]Would it be possible to add a new parameter that goes along with "Automatic reboot and recall" allowing the user to supply a defined password. This would allow one to properly recover from a locked session.[...]

I don't think I'll implement this - for pratical and security reasons.
You may of course switch user or just wait if the session is locked.

WOU is hardly used in controlled environments only. Eveny today there are millions of non-networked systems out there. Also there are networks not connected to the internet. Both exist mainly for security reasons so putting in a hardcoded password will be counter-productive.

Perhaps it would be feasable to put in a checkbox that allows for automatic deactivation of screen lockouts and screen savers for the themp user account. That way an administrator could deactivate session lockout before starting WOU and still could have a safe password (which is required on most systems by GPO, so you cannot just set any static password you want).
hr1232

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions