Possible things to add

Possible things to add

Postby negg » 14.09.2016, 08:15

Hi just wondering if its possible to add the following to make things a lot easier

1. after every update I have to rerun the script RemoveGermanLanguageSupport some times i forget and remember halfway through the update and have to cancel it and start again. Can this be made to run after the update in anyway?
2. From UpdateInstaller.exe is it possible to have a field where you can change the amount of updates done before a reset is needed.
3. from UpdateInstaller.exe is it possible to have a field to turn off/on the /skipdefs option?
4. some instructions on what the FinalizationHook and InitializationHook are i cant find anything out as to what they are

tnx..... if any of it sounds useful
negg

Re: Possible things to add

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 15.09.2016, 13:41

Hi.

1) Will be part of v. 10.7.4, so you'll have to manually call RemoveGermanLanguageSupport.cmd only once again.
2) No. Standard users will be confused about this setting, experienced ones may use SetUpdatesPerStage.cmd to overwrite the default value.
3) No. Standard users will be confused about this setting, experienced ones may edit UpdateInstaller.ini to overwrite the default value.
4) Well, feel free to fill them with any initialization and finalization code you can imagine. :)

Cheers,
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby negg » 19.09.2016, 09:27

Hi tnx for adding the remove German Language Support. However ive just downloaded the new trunk through WSUSOU-Update and this i believe does not preserve the settings as 10.8 does so im getting all the German files again. Can this be fixed for all beta versions as well ?
negg

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 19.09.2016, 15:06

Hi.

It's not broken.
It's done by UpdateOU.cmd during the automatic self update, which you don't execute when you manually overwrite your copy by the latest trunk.

Cheers,
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby negg » 19.09.2016, 15:11

so after every update that is done through Updater.exe do i need to run UpdateOU.cmd to preserve my removal of German languages?
negg

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 19.09.2016, 15:21

No.

If a new release is available, you'll be notified.
If you let run the WOU self update then, custom language removals will be preserved.
If, on the other hand, you overwrite an existing copy by a manually downloaded release or trunk version, your custom language removals will not be preserved - how should that be done?

Cheers,
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby negg » 19.09.2016, 15:37

Right ok, i tend to download and test the trunks out more or less when they are released and i use the program that checks and automatically downloads the latest trunk and installs it. This is causing the same problem as before as does not preserve my settings. ill stop using trunks and just stick with the normal releases to keep my settings intact.
negg

Postby negg » 20.09.2016, 08:16

Hi i think i may have found the possible confusion that i have been having at the moment im just testing windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit.

ok wsus has been updated to latest release not a trunk release and the command has been run...

32 bit version downloads fine with no extra files.....
64 bit version downloads at least 1 extra file called IE11-Windows6.1-x64-de-de.exe

As the command to remove all other languages has been ran should this happen?

I believe it is the same for windows 8.1 32 and 64 bit as well but i shall be testing them soon.....
negg

Postby hbuhrmester » 20.09.2016, 09:47

The file StaticDownloadLinks-w61-x64-glb.txt has already changed since the release 10.7.4. There is a new version available in the development version "trunk":

http://trac.wsusoffline.net/browser/tru ... 64-glb.txt

It is also downloaded with the mechanism "update static download definitions". This is a two-step approach:

First, the file http://download.wsusoffline.net/StaticD ... dified.txt is downloaded to the static directory.

Second, all files referenced in the file StaticDownloadFiles-modified.txt are also downloaded to the static directory. This will replace the file StaticDownloadLinks-w61-x64-glb.txt at least once.

In this case, the script RemoveGermanLanguageSupport.cmd will not be called automatically. The new automatism is in the script UpdateOU.new, which is not used for the update of static download definitions.

You can run the script RemoveGermanLanguageSupport.cmd manually. Then the edited copy of the file StaticDownloadLinks-w61-x64-glb.txt will be newer than the file on the server. Since wget uses timestamping for all downloads, the edited copy could be expected to stick.

But old versions of wget have a silly behavior, which is widely considered a bug: wget will always download the file, whenever the file size changes, regardless of the file modification dates. Removing the German download link surely changes the file size, and then the file StaticDownloadLinks-w61-x64-glb.txt will be downloaded again.

There would be three workarounds for the behavior:

1. You could edit the file StaticDownloadLinks-w61-x64-glb.txt manually and not just delete the German link, but also duplicate the corresponding English link. Then the file size should stay exactly the same, and wget should not download the file again (not until another, newer version becomes available online). But this is a rather silly approach; it would just prove the point, that the file size is important.

2. You could get a recent version of wget and put it into the directory wsusoffline/bin. Recent versions of wget have a much improved method for timestamping, and this should remove the odd behavior of the bundled version. Windows builds are available at:

https://eternallybored.org/misc/wget/

3. You could also use Aria2 as the download utility by running the script ActivateAria2Downloads.cmd. Aria2 uses the same method for timestamping as recent versions of wget.
hbuhrmester

Postby negg » 20.09.2016, 11:41

well no matter what i do it deff wants that file lol think ill just leave it ................
negg

Next

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions