My experience, suggestions.

My experience, suggestions.

Postby Kalevispetke » 14.01.2016, 20:55

First off I'm really thankful this software exists. I encountered this terrible "Neverending checking for updates" problem on my old Asus G1Sn laptop and updated past it with this WSUS Offline. Lots of praise to you guys!
The exact problem is described here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-update-agent-767600320-destroys-windows/c870d7f0-9685-4847-b623-e11239ba80ea?auth=1
Your software was recommended by the last guy on that thread... ;)

Some suggestions:
You should reallly add a notification or something that the page file size should be set to automatic control or something like 8-16 GB size in case its not...
I have 2GB of RAM and I always use an old "pro technique" of setting my page file to 1,5x the ram (3000MB in this case) when I install windows.

I got to something like update 130 of 138 when Windows started complaining about "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation." Error 14.
Looking at task manager I saw the RAM was completely filled up by trustedinstaller. Then I found posts about it here on this board.
I rebooted and every update was rolled back by windows on next boot! Trying to update again and I got stuck in the "listing all ids, this may take a while phase" for 1,5 hours (it went in 25mins the first time). I read on this board its actually done by the Windows update itself so it got stuck in the neverending search probably -> reinstalled win 7.

This was a huge waste of time.. (: :cry: and fixed rather easily by setting the page file to automatic. I did it and next time everything worked flawlessly, I saw my page file go up to 6 GB in size but everything worked ok.
Kalevispetke

Re: My experience, suggestions.

Postby johnnnn » 23.01.2016, 03:07

I have had similar experiences. I'm working with 2 gb physical memory. I don't know about altering paging size to try and fix it.
It seems to me that a good solution would be if the updater finished normally as soon as it encounters the lack of storage space error. Which I think is reported in the log file as (errorlevel: 14). I was wanting to make a suggestion for that.
Since the recent update to the wsusoffline, the checking for missing updates takes about 12 minutes or less instead of 2 hours previously.
A recent update I attempted with this though had a lot of problems. it was taking a long time to decide there was lack of storage space with each installation. It had started this at about update 110 and there were at least 30 to go. It was very slow, so I I turned off the program, and installations seemed uncertain after that. The long wait to check missing updates seemed to return on another pass through too, less than 2 hours though.
What I will attempt next time is to populate the exclude list with a lot of kbs from the w61/glb directory. Making sure the ones necessary for checking for missing updates aren't excluded and not tick any other install options.
johnnnn

Postby deros » 01.03.2016, 22:10

While this program may have it's minor faults, overall it's a fantastic program. My deepest respect for the programmer(s). Thank you.
deros

Postby boco » 02.03.2016, 01:43

We have now staged updating, for solving the resource problem.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions