Print list of things to download

Print list of things to download

Postby polemon » 23.09.2015, 02:48

Hello, I'm new in this. I did a quick search for the things I'd like to suggest, but I couldn't find anything similar, so here goes.

When downloading the packages / updates, it would be nice if the console would display a list of things to download, and - if possible - the size of the package (before starting the actual download).

While download is happening, it would be nice if it'd print how far it's gone down the list.

I'm used to using things like apt-get and dnf (on Fedora), and I'm kinda missing the kind of information it's printing. Would be a nice addition, I think.

Having an ETA on the whole list would be nice, but is not really necessary. It would especially come in handy, when doing another download at a later point in time, so it'd display things that are already downloaded and don't have to be re-downloaded, etc. (again, I'm taking these ideas from Linux package manager frontends).
polemon

Re: Print list of things to download

Postby aker » 23.09.2015, 08:24

Do you talk about the Windows or Linux scripts or both?
I coule write a script for you, which disables wget's silent-mode, so you can say, if that would be OK for you.

ETA: very difficult as you may be redirected to another server, which has a different speed, after each download.
Re-Downloads: wsusou won't download a file twice except for, if it changed.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Re: Print list of things to download

Postby polemon » 23.09.2015, 15:46

I was referring to the Windows part of the software.

But yeah, using wget -v or --show-progress may or may not help. But that's not exactly what I meant.
What I mean was before download starts, it must get a list (or check against a list of some sort) for things to download. Now, I'd like to see that list, before actual download starts, especially which packages have already been downloaded and which still have to be downloaded.

Something like this:
(of course the sections like "Installing", "Upgrading", and "Removing" don't make sense with WSUS, but you get the idea)

For instance right before a download starts, I might decide I don't have enough space on my disk, and would switch to another partition, etc.

Or I might stop download at one point and resume it at some other time.

Also, when download is finished, I don't see why it shouldn't display a summary what packages have been downloaded (again, borrowing from package manager analogies).
polemon

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions