Option to add staggered updating

Option to add staggered updating

Postby einsfran » 08.05.2015, 16:47

Hi

Would be possible to add a way to limit the amount of updates the script does?
Right now I just installed a fresh W7 x64 SP1 on a machine and ran WSUSoffline. It listed 127 patches... due to the way the patches work, when installing patch 112 and onwards the PC ran out of memory (TrustedInstaller.exe using 2,5 GB of RAM and not being allowed to use more).

This is on a machine with 4GB RAM. With 2GB RAM is even worse, patching already fails around patch 40-50 (each patch install finishes with the Error 14: not enough resources messsage).

Total memory on the machine was 4,6 GB (4096 physical minus 72MB of hardware reserved memory plus 768 MB of pagefile).
Granted I could just increase the pagefile to allow the process to keep running but it would mean the update would take a very long time.
Whereas if I could limit the amount of patches it would not run until all of the physical memory is used thus not being slowed by pagefile usage.

Cheers.

P.D.: Check this blog post, it already mentions this issue three years ago: http://marc.durdin.net/2011/08/does-mic ... -a-leak-2/
einsfran

Re: Option to add staggered updating

Postby Cababs » 12.05.2015, 16:24

I have noticed this. this was a pain when trying to do Vista installs. I had about 520 updates.

The way I got around this was just to install the base updates 1st, so that means the only option enabled should be the restart option and then rerun the installer for the other software such as DOTNET, IE, DirectX. I know that kind of defeats the object of automation but it was the only way I could get them to install without hanging.
Notable Achievements
CompTIA A+
HNC Computing
Cababs

Postby einsfran » 20.05.2015, 14:50

Base updates alone already amount to 110 IIRC in W7 SP1.
I'll be upgrading a fresh install later in the day so I'll post the exact number then...
einsfran

Postby einsfran » 28.05.2015, 18:55

So it took awhile but I finally needed to do an Win7 install and got a screenshot.

As you can see, by the time the update is going on the update number 106 (on a fresh Windows 7 installation) it runs out of memory and subsequent patches fail.
This particular computer has 4GB of RAM (of which 32MB is reserved to onboard video statically, plus 58 dinamically).
Total available memory is 4006 Mb, plus 512MB of swapfile.

You can imagine what is this when it's done on a 2GB ram PC... I might time it next time I get one (currently I don't have spare time to set up a PC like this)
WSUSmemErrorcrop.png
(118.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
einsfran

Postby Denniss » 29.05.2015, 00:05

Strange behaviour especially as it reports ~3GiB RAM in Cache so something seems to block RAM there.
You may want to have Windoze handle the pagefile size. After updates are finished disable it, restart and set back to 512.

There's one option to reduce updates to install - do not install dotnet 4.x or other Windows stuff offered by the WOU installer, this may save 10-15 updates.
Denniss

Postby aker » 29.05.2015, 09:41

@WSUSUpdateAdmin
What about a handler for this error?
Cancel the update, when dism returns this error level, reboot and continue. This would dynamically auto-reboot the computer when needed.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby Denniss » 25.06.2015, 22:36

Recently came across this problem as well on a Win7 x64 machine with 4 Gib RAM with 124 updates to install after an inplace upgrade repair installation. Same here - lots of RAM reported in cache but nothing set free despite shortage.
What about creating a "Fresh install" option in the update installer which installs only IE and dotnet updates (or excludes them). Afterwards instruction to reboot and restart installer without fresh install option.

Don't know if this update would have helped: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265
Denniss

Postby einsfran » 27.06.2015, 07:51

Just finished doing another W7 x64 install.
This time I had time to watch it until the end...
Updating took nearly 3 hours.

It seems you *require* 7GB of RAM now just to do it all in one pass... check the memory commit (Asignación)
PC with 2,75GB RAM + dynamic pagefile, which, considering the commit, it was around 4,3 GB...
Good thing I learned to use ImageX and W7's audit mode now....
Image once, write many!
einsfran

Postby Cababs » 29.06.2015, 23:51

exactly that what I did. last time I did that was about April 2015

w61 x64 & w60 x86 are approx. 7GB each. to install with these either include the editions you want or install using USB
Notable Achievements
CompTIA A+
HNC Computing
Cababs

Postby paul1149 » 18.09.2015, 01:48

There's another reason this would be a good idea: failures. One failure can sink the entire session, with Windows reverting changes. This happened a few days ago, and I then went to MS Windows Update and used checkboxes to update in batches, which worked flawlessly.
paul1149

Next

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions