Button to launch UpdateInstaller....

Button to launch UpdateInstaller....

Postby topbanana » 21.05.2014, 18:22

Can we have a button in the UpdateGenerator to launch the UpdateInstaller?

Usually i'm getting it to download and then to install the newly downloaded updates immediately afterwards... so it'll save us having to exit, navigate to the client directory and starting the updateinstaller.

The other angle i thought of is why not just have one application that can download and install? There was probably a reason why it was separated initially... is that still relevant?
topbanana

Re: Button to launch UpdateInstaller....

Postby boco » 22.05.2014, 16:08

I think you may not have understood the purpose of WSUSOU... To download and install the updates on the same PC you can simply use Windows Update.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Re: Button to launch UpdateInstaller....

Postby topbanana » 22.05.2014, 16:22

boco wrote:I think you may not have understood the purpose of WSUSOU... To download and install the updates on the same PC you can simply use Windows Update.

I understand it very well.
I have a metered connection. every byte costs me. So to update all the PCs i administer i download it once and run it many times. One of the fundamental reasons this software was created i'd guess.

But one of the PCs i run it on is the one i call the UpdateGenerator.
So having a button to call the UpdateInstaller would be very convenient.
Software is often written to make things more convenient.

OK, not everyone will use the button, but a lot of us will.
I don't need the tick boxes for the french language updates... but it's convenient that they are there for the French users. they don't have to call a script from the cmd directory or add switches too the command line...

I'm just making a suggestion to perhaps make it better/more convenient.
topbanana

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions