Consider using aria2 as a replacement to wget

Re: Consider using aria2 as a replacement to wget

Postby mbathen » 03.09.2013, 10:47

I used aria but I want to go back to wget. Didn't find a way myself. How to do that?
--
Gruß
Manfred
mbathen

Postby aker » 03.09.2013, 11:03

Please delete ".\cmd\custom\SetAria2EnvVars.cmd" and ".\bin\aria2c-x86.exe"/".\bin\aria2c-x64.exe".
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 03.09.2013, 11:19

Thanks, aker,

just in case you probably want to retry Aria2: You don't need to delete the Aria2 binaries to get back to wget.

Greets
Torsten
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby brb8two » 04.09.2013, 11:11

Hi Gerby,

I had a look into what you mentioned about Aria2 vs wget. So I performed a test, although not amazing results, some other things to think about.

Results:
Aria2 Test ##1 07/08/2013 to 04/09/2013 (251MB,17 files) (~13MB/s) Download Speed took 12:28.61 mins
Wget Test ##2 07/08/2013 to 04/09/2013 (251MB,17 files) (~12MB/s) Download Speed took 10:12.66 mins

Times were taken from the download log file. (aria2 used a modified DownloadUpdates.cmd file not what is on trunk)
My ADSL Speed is around the 13MB/s
I made the downloads to my USB Stick (this is where I always make them)
I put the old copy of files back onto my stick before running again with wget (original files) to get back to the same point for downloads.
I was using my machine while the downloads occurred hence CPU time for verification may have affected the results.

What I did notice is that more time was taken for me to Allocate the space for the file with aria2. This is probably due to the USB drive.
While wget was downloading my network monitor had low points (i.e. slowed down for short periods) during the download this did not occur with aria2.

I believe these were the parameters used: for w61 glb with /includedotnet /includemsse /includewddefs /verify /exitonerror

Comparing individual parts of the download, 1:42 for the Windows Update Catalog file with Aria2 and 2:59 with wget. (almost twice as fast but MSE definitions, 20 seconds longer and both about 80MB)

For WSUS Aria2 can make a difference with a good connection and more so with a fresh download set, but I've seen it's benefits with downloads from third party sites that wget just can not hold a candle to. (90 mins v's 10 mins)
brb8two

Postby qoole » 19.12.2013, 19:01

Hi all,

Thanks for adding this feature it does make a huge difference for people who don't have the storage to keep an entire WSUS tree downloaded/up-to-date.

As for:
Gerby wrote:For the future: Maybe there could be done some tweaking on processing multiple files from the dynamic download list with aria2. Would it be an option to create a temporary URL list first and then pass the whole list as parameter to aria2 (just a thought, not investigated about that)?

These download lists exist already, however downloadupdates.cmd does this:
Code: Select all
  for /F "tokens=1* delims=:" %%i in ('%SystemRoot%\System32\findstr.exe /N $ "%TEMP%\ValidDynamicLinks-%1-%2.txt"') do (
    echo Downloading/validating update %%i of %LINES_COUNT%...
    %DLDR_PATH% %DLDR_COPT% %DLDR_NVOPT% %DLDR_POPT% ..\client\%1\%2 %DLDR_LOPT% %%j
    if errorlevel 1 (
      echo Warning: Download of %%j failed.
      echo %DATE% %TIME% - Warning: Download of %%j failed>>%DOWNLOAD_LOGFILE%
    )
  )

So it fires off an individual wget/aria for each file (highly wasteful). I'm not sure why, because even wget accepts an input-file argument. Only thing I can think of is because of the error checking afterwards, so it can spit out exactly which file failed. Although that could be taken care of later by the validating code (ie, a file that failed to download won't validate).

That entire chunk of code could be replaced with something like (untested):

echo Downloading/validating %LINES_COUNT% updates...
    %DLDR_PATH% %DLDR_COPT% %DLDR_NVOPT% %DLDR_POPT% ..\client\%1\%2 %DLDR_LOPT% -i "%TEMP%\ValidDynamicLinks-%1-%2.txt"
    if errorlevel 1 (
      echo %DATE% %TIME% - Warning: Downloading failed.
      echo %DATE% %TIME% - Warning: Downloading failed.>>%DOWNLOAD_LOGFILE%
    )

Please note this type of for loop crops up all over the place and would have to be replaced each time. However it could improve efficiency (even with the older wget).

Thanks,

Alex
qoole

Postby harry » 02.01.2014, 18:00

New version of aria2 :arrow: http://sourceforge.net/p/aria2/news/201 ... -released/

http://optimate.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aria2/stable/aria2-1.18.2/aria2-1.18.2-win-32bit-build1.zip
http://optimate.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aria2/stable/aria2-1.18.2/aria2-1.18.2-win-64bit-build1.zip
harry

Postby bobby7 » 06.06.2015, 03:18

THANK YOU Torsten
its Work
I Use Aria2 NOW...

Thanks
bobby7

Previous

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions