Make WSUS do multiple checks at once.

Make WSUS do multiple checks at once.

Postby KindOne » 09.03.2013, 23:57

Currently WSUS Offline Update seems to do the downloading/updating/checking for everything at one at a time.

I am suggesting making WSUS have an option to handle multiple downloading/updating/checking at once to possibly speed up the entire process.
KindOne

Re: Make WSUS do multiple checks at once.

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 16.03.2013, 09:03

Hi!
Multithreading is not supposed to speed up the downloading process, because it's limited by your available bandwidth.
RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby KindOne » 16.03.2013, 12:01

Eh, I guess I worded it wrong, but yeah, bandwidth can be a factor.

Lets say we have a few Windows Vista 32bit/64bit machines and a few Windows 7 32bit/64bit.

Currently WSUS checks Windows Vista 32bit -> Windows Vista 64bit -> Windows 7 32bit -> Windows 7 64bit one at a time.

I am suggesting that it check all of them at once, as in open multiple multiple CMD windows for each one at the same time and the individual windows do the checking/updating/downloading if this is possible, instead of doing them one at a time. While downloading can be a factor, I think this could possible speed up the overall process.
KindOne

Postby Denniss » 16.03.2013, 12:16

You get get some temp file collisions if you try to use multiple cmd to check for updates, at least this was my experience with an older version, trying to simultaneously get updates for windows and office from two WOU instances.
Denniss

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions