wget continue flag

wget continue flag

Postby sao » 26.12.2012, 15:43

I was wondering why the wget continue download flag (-c) is not enabled?

See here description of the flag:
Continue getting a partially-downloaded file. This is useful when you want to finish up a download started by a previous instance of Wget, or by another program.

As I am using wsusoffline behind a very slow and unreliable internet connection it sometimes happen that a download of a file which was almost fnished stops and needs to be restarted again. This is especially annoying if trying to download a service pack or updates of similair sizes.

I have attached a patch (created against trunk) where the continue flag -c is added to the Linux DownloadUpdates.sh which I normally use. After some testing it seems to work just fine. I am sure it can be easily added to the Windows script as well. It would be great to add this improvoment to wsusoffline to make it even better ;).

Code: Select all
Index: sh/DownloadUpdates.sh
===================================================================
--- sh/DownloadUpdates.sh   (revision 428)
+++ sh/DownloadUpdates.sh   (working copy)
@@ -276,8 +276,8 @@

doWget()
 {
-echo "wget -nv -N --timeout=120 $*" | tee -a ../temp/wget.$mydate
-wget -nv -N --timeout=120 $* 2>>../temp/wget.$mydate
+echo "wget -nv -c -N --timeout=120 $*" | tee -a ../temp/wget.$mydate
+wget -nv -N -c --timeout=120 $* 2>>../temp/wget.$mydate
 return $?
 }

sao

Re: wget continue flag

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 09.01.2013, 13:19

Hi sao,

sorry for late response.

sao wrote:I was wondering why the wget continue download flag (-c) is not enabled?

For this application, I dislike the wget "-c / --continue" flag, because partially downloaded patch files are useless for the target/client systems.
Additionally, if you switch on verification under Windows, partially downloaded files would be deleted because of the mismatching checksum or the failing digital file signature verification.

Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Anregungen / Suggestions