WSUSoffline and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)

WSUSoffline and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)

Postby Psychoteur » 20.01.2019, 15:06

Hello,
I'm trying to build a reference Image of Windows 7 x64 using WSUSoffline.
I'm using that guide https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/521/Back-to-Basics-Building-a-Windows-7-SP1-Reference-Image-using-MDT-2013-Update-2
I've added the lastest Cumulative Update (01.2019).
I see many people doing it but how ?

I've set WSUSoffline as an application and as install command "cmd/doupdate.cmd %*". It runs but it's not doing much since it applies two updates.
If I set autoreboot parameter it installs 43 updates but it breaks the deployment since it activates the WOUTempAdmin.

So is there a way to set the same behavior as WOUTempAdmin but with the administrator buildin account ?
Thanks.
Psychoteur

Re: WSUSoffline and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)

Postby aker » 21.01.2019, 00:10

If there is a way to tell MDT from CMD, that it should reboot the computer and recall wsusou: Yes
If not: No (or at least not using MDT)
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby Psychoteur » 21.01.2019, 10:55

There is a ticked box "Reboot the computer after installing this application" but I don't think it can be looped.
I know for a fact that the windows update task as a variable set to 7. I should look inside the vbs how the loop is configured and beside I am a noob in vbs.
What I don't get is the different behavior between with/without autoreboot parameter.
It was my assumption it'll at least do one pass. Why without autoreboot I've got 2 updates and with autoreboot set I've got 43 updates in one pass ?

By the way, I tried the more classical way of doing update with MDT:
Created a package and profil, imported the updates from the client folder, added to the task sequence. Result: -> not updated.

What's the behavior of the account WOUTempAdmin ? Is it always disabled and deleted in the end ? I know it's possible to install application under another account with mdt.
Psychoteur

Postby aker » 21.01.2019, 11:48

WOUTempAdmin is created for wsusou to be able to reboot the computer and recall itself without requiring the user to enter his/her password.

As some updates require others to be installed first and have the computer restarted afterwards, it's not that easy to create an up2date image for Windows 7.
Other updates must not be installed together with others and some have to be the first or last to be installed before the computer gets restarted.

If you need an updated Windows 7 image, please tell me, what image you need.
I've got a few slipstreamed images except for the Enterprise edition (the most updated one contains IE 11 and updates up to 2017-12, with two exceptions (Servicing Stack KB3177467 & the not slipstreamable KB2603229)).
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby Cababs » 23.01.2019, 00:06

i have used WOU with MDT. although its been about 5 years since i looked at it last. i remember setting WOU to be the last thing to be run, after applications.

assuming you are using MDT within a network environment the last command should simple run WOU from the network.

you say you are creating a reference image, so why dont you install as normal and then apply the WOU and then use MDT to capture said image. it been my experience that it is better to do fresh installs for reference pc than try to slipstream/update an image using the packages

in regards to updating, all you would then need to do is to update WOU, so if you want to update and exisiting then simply use WOU
Notable Achievements
CompTIA A+
HNC Computing
Cababs

Postby Psychoteur » 23.01.2019, 11:35

- I get the use of the WUOUTempAdmin, in fact MDT uses the same logic, instead it activates the buildin administrator account.This is why I though I could simply do a if (%username% == WOUTempAdmin || %username% == Administrator). So I use WOUTempAdmin, it should run as expected. Got me thinking I should change the account in the unattend.xml file.

- The point of doing my way is to fully automate no human intervention so someone else can do or it can be launch after hours and I can use the same task 12 times (until january 2020) and standardization.
- I've 7 Pro and Home images. I usually capture an home image, copy, and dism set windows versions, dism export to new image.
- If I wanted to do a reference image I'll just use the Windows Updates sequences inserted in MDT but 1GB of download .... (see point below.)
- I've got a very slow internet connection that's why I want to use wsusoffline. My connection is so slow that I can't use a real Wsus since it never ends to download. (even with heavy scripting to limit the size of download).
- Now I will try If I set wsusoffline as an network application what happens.

Thanks.
Psychoteur

Postby Psychoteur » 23.01.2019, 18:34

So I played with MDT to create the WOUTempAdmin account. Well if the account exists -autoreboot doesn't work.
Psychoteur

Postby Drakrilla » 13.02.2019, 07:22

I also had problems with the parameter "cmd/doupdate.cmd %*". I recorded the WsusOffline as an application in MDT with the following settings:

- Quiet install command: doupdate.cmd
- Working directory:. \ Applications \ WSUSOffline \ client \ cmd

it works without any problems.
Drakrilla

Return to Installation / Updating