Vista SP2: 'Listing IDs of Missing Updates'

Vista SP2: 'Listing IDs of Missing Updates'

Postby jjndig » 16.12.2018, 21:39

Hi,
I am wondering, why does it stay on 'Listing IDs of Missing Updates' for quite a lot of time - more than 2 hours pass before I have to quit as it seems not responding at all...

I'm guessing it relates to the infinite loop of checking for updates that plagued Vista since Microsoft's shenanigans after Windows 10 came out (their plan was to make people upgrade to new PCs from Vista by deliberately breaking updates) - I am not connected to the Internet at the time of the updating, and the KBs that fix the problem with Automatic Updates aren't installed (see: WinClient5270's video on fixing the problem)

Any advice?
Thanks

Note: this was Google translated to German for simplicity reasons also.

=====

Hallo,
Ich frage mich, warum es lange Zeit auf "Listing IDs of Missing Updates" verweilt - mehr als zwei Stunden vergehen, bevor ich aufhören muss, da es scheinbar überhaupt nicht reagiert ...

Ich vermute, es bezieht sich auf die unendliche Schleife der Suche nach Updates, die Vista plagten, seit Microsofts shenanigans nach dem Erscheinen von Windows 10 herauskamen (der Plan bestand darin, die Benutzer auf neue PCs von Vista zu aktualisieren, indem sie absichtlich Updates brechen) Internet zum Zeitpunkt der Aktualisierung, und die KBs, die das Problem mit automatischen Updates beheben, sind nicht installiert (siehe Video von WinClient5270 zur Behebung des Problems)

Irgendein Rat?
Vielen Dank

Hinweis: Dies wurde Google aus Gründen der Vereinfachung auch ins Deutsche übersetzt.
jjndig

Re: Vista SP2: 'Listing IDs of Missing Updates'

Postby boco » 17.12.2018, 02:14

Known KBs to fix the long search problem: http://wu.krelay.de/en/Vista.htm (the author of the website, @Dalai, is a project member here and I'm sure he'll reply to further questions.

Note that, despite having applied all fix KBs, Vista will still search a long time for updates, 30 minutes to several hours, depending on hardware. However, the fix KBs make the difference between searching for hours and searching for days straight (that's no joke!).

On the bright side, Vista is EOL, so you will have to update it only one time. Server 2008 SP2 updates will not install on Vista.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby Dalai » 17.12.2018, 04:04

Vista again...

1. The list of prerequisite updates on my site hasn't been updated since Vista went out of support (April 2017). The same applies to the prerequisite list used in WSUS Offline.
  2. Since the Vista EOL there have been a lot of updates for Server 2008 (which is NT 6.0 just like Vista)
  3. Since the Vista EOL the Windows Update catalog (wsusscn2.cab) has been updated multiple times, adding more updates every time that the WU agent has to check for applicability
  4. All of the above means that my (final) list of prerequisite updates is far from ideal, most likely leading to increased search times since Vista EOL. Not even sure if there is any significant speed-up with my list anymore.
  5. Other people picked up where I left off, even after Vista EOL, see e.g. https://www.vistax64.com/threads/window ... ng.303992/
Anyway, you shouldn't be using Vista anymore. But if you do, either you have to live with the situation (that searching for updates takes hours or even days) or don't install updates at all (offline only).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby aker » 17.12.2018, 06:47

It it helps in any way, I could upload an old copy of wsusou containing an older wsusscn2.cab later this day, which should also improve the search time a little bit.
But as alreads said, the updates on Dalais website and my old wsusscn2.cab still need a lot of time for searching for updates.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby jjndig » 17.12.2018, 15:11

I found installing the "speedup" updates from WinClient5270's video that I've mentioned in the last post, made it take only 5-10 minutes on this process now. :P

As for "using Vista", that and Windows 8 are the only NT6 OSes I'd consider now given Microsoft has mesed up Windows 7 over the past 2 years.
jjndig

Postby Dalai » 17.12.2018, 16:49

jjndig wrote:I found installing the "speedup" updates from WinClient5270's video that I've mentioned in the last post, made it take only 5-10 minutes on this process now. :P

Can you go into more detail on these updates? Yesterday, I checked his/her YouTube channel, but the latest video about this specific issue was over 1.5 years old, and I didn't consider it relevant. It would help us and other people looking for a solution. Note though that the solution you found might be only temporary, until MS releases new updates the next month.

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 18.12.2018, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to YT channel
Dalai

Postby VolumeZ » 23.12.2018, 05:25

Hallo Dalai,

in dieser Hinsicht hat sich seit April 2017 nichts getan. Das Suchproblem entsteht durch ein Zusammenwirken von Verfügbarkeit in Windows Update und Anwendbarkeit in der lokalen Installation. Den Updates für Windows Server 2008 mangelt es an Verfügbarkeit. Den Updates für den IE9 sowie MS Office hingegen mangelt es ggf. an Anwendbarkeit. Ebenso mangelt es bereits manuell installierten Updates an Anwendbarkeit, was deren Beitrag zur Problemlösung ausmacht. Das Fehlen von Verfügbarkeit oder Anwendbarkeit oder beidem garantiert ein Nichtbeitragen des jeweiligen Updates zum Suchproblem. Der springende Punkt ist die grundsätzliche Fehlerfreiheit von Windows Update mit Ausnahme einiger weniger, von uns identifizierter Updates, die den Gesamtvorgang ruinieren können.

An einer englischsprachigen Version dieses Beitrags arbeite ich mit Hochdruck...

Gruß, VZ
VolumeZ

Postby Dalai » 23.12.2018, 18:35

@VolumeZ:
Thanks for your answer. Well, then the question is: Why should the "video method" work, and WOU won't? WOU will install all updates mentioned in that video as prerequisites, with only a minor difference; it will install a newer IE9 update (KB4018271 instead of KB4014661).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby boco » 23.12.2018, 23:31

A general problem of Windows Update are supersede chains. The longer such a supersede chain is (beginning with the latest "baseline", which was usually a Service Pack or Update Rollup), the longer WU takes, as it needs to follow each chain. Vista (and Server 2008 SP2) have very long chains, as SP2 was released a long long time ago. Add a few missing metadata links in the chains, and the result is perfect chaos.

Best way for Vista: Use a clean SP2 ISO, integrate all updates, use the resulting ISO to install, disable WU. Done, as there will be no further updates.

Server 2008 has CUs and SecOnly packs now, but it's too late. To be effective, it would require a new baseline, which will most probably never come.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby VolumeZ » 29.12.2018, 04:37

@Dalai:

Methods of installing prerequisite updates offline will fail with "Never check for updates" not chosen - even automated ones. Having an update search running in the background defeats the purpose.

@boco: The supersedence chain issue cannot be generalized among different updates or different OSes. No general search issue is affecting Windows Server 2008. Talking about Windows Vista, up to this moment it's just 11 updates that have been identified to potentially harm the Windows Update search process. Then again, there's justification in claiming if Windows update is broken for at least 1 update, Windows Update is broken.

Regards, VZ
VolumeZ

Next

Return to Installation / Updating