Failure configuring updates, reverting changes

Re: Failure configuring updates, reverting changes

Postby daz » 01.08.2018, 17:14

Dalai wrote: Does Windows Update and/or WSUS Offline work now (although I doubt it)?

I tried the standalone updates again but they didn't work. I'm guessing if these don't work then a full Windows Update and/or WSUS Offline won't work either, though I can try it anyway.

If I exclude KB2533623 and KB2731771 would windows update work?

Dalai wrote: One last thing though. Run these commands on an elevated command prompt:
Code: Select all
start /wait "" C:\Windows\bfsvc.exe C:\Windows\boot /nofonts
echo errorlevel %errorlevel%
and post the output. I'm curious to see if it reports the same exit code as it does when called by the system.

gives "errorlevel 123"

@aker

Ok I'll give that a shot and report back
daz

Postby daz » 05.08.2018, 14:40

aker wrote:1) Assign drive letter to the boot-partition
Sometimes Windows failes to update BCD, because some weird flag is set on the boot-partition (I actually don't know which one, but this helped on one system I had problems with before).
Open an administrative command prompt and run these commands (assuming Windows is installed on the first hard drive of the device).
diskpart
select disk 0
list partition

I should mention, my bootloader is GRUB, is it still safe to proceed with these steps?
daz

Postby Dalai » 05.08.2018, 15:17

daz wrote:I should mention, my bootloader is GRUB

Aha! That is most probably the cause for your problems! Some Windows updates won't get installed when a non-Windows boot loader is used. Microsoft has acknowledged this as a Known Issue, but they won't fix it. The update for SHA-2 (KB3033929) is known for not installing when you have a 3rd-party boot manager:
Known issues with this security update
Issue 1

Some users cannot install this security update if their computers meet the following conditions:

Have a multiple-boot configuration of Windows and various distributions of Linux
    Use a non-Windows boot loader
    Have Windows and Linux installed on separate drives

is it still safe to proceed with these steps?

Yes, it is. The commands just list the partitioning of the first disk, or assign a drive letter. Nothing is changed about the partitioning.

Note to all: The first disk might change between reboots when you have multiple disks in your system. It's another Known Issue in Windows, and an annoying one at that: Disk drive numbers may not correspond to the SATA channel numbers when you install Windows on a computer that has multiple SATA or RAID disks.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby daz » 05.08.2018, 20:19

Ok I followed Aker's instructions. To check if the problems were solved, I tried the standalone updates again but they didn't work. Same error as before.

Should I try the WSUSoffline tool anyway?

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7601.18489

....................................................................................................
....................................................................................................
.................................................................Completed running scanhealth, check
 logs at %windir%\logs\CBS\Checksur.log

The operation completed successfully.

Log here:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.18489
2018-08-05 20:05

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 202
 No errors detected

daz

Postby Dalai » 07.08.2018, 14:48

If it's not too much effort I suggest that you change your boot loader to Windows BCD temporarily and check whether or not you can install updates afterwards. If yes, problem solved. If not, wait for aker to reply again.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby daz » 07.08.2018, 18:30

I tried the WSUSOffline again with some success. Although the updates failed and were reverted, IE11 appears to have been successfully installed.

DISM, CBS and WindowsUpdate logs here: https://my.mixtape.moe/jgjgql.7z

Yes I am considering going back to Windows BCD but have no idea how. I'll have to research this.
daz

Postby Dalai » 07.08.2018, 20:01

daz wrote:Yes I am considering going back to Windows BCD but have no idea how. I'll have to research this.

Pretty sure you'd need to boot from a Win7 DVD, open a CMD window (via Shift+F10) and use bootsect.exe and maybe bootrec.exe with the appropriate parameters. Or maybe try the boot sector or boot manager rebuild thing in the Win7 DVD repair options (lower left corner of the setup screen).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby boco » 08.08.2018, 01:10

Usually enough to boot with the Windows DVD, select "Repair PC" and then "Startup Repair".
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby aker » 08.08.2018, 10:39

Is it an old BIOS system or a newer UEFI system?
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby Dalai » 08.08.2018, 14:58

@aker: According to WindowsUpdate.log it's an older platform:
Computer Brand = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Computer Model = X58A-UD3R
Bios Revision = FH
Checked the manual, no "UEFI" to find in there. So probably regular BIOS.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

PreviousNext

Return to Installation / Updating