UpdateGenerator.exe blocked by Smartscreen

UpdateGenerator.exe blocked by Smartscreen

Postby OldTech101 » 30.05.2018, 14:54

Hello everyone. It seems that in the last few days my sys admin has enforced smartscreen, and prevented the Run Anyway option.

I know it's a bit of a longshot, but is there anyway we can get future versions of UpdateGenerator.exe signed to prevent this situation?
OldTech101

UpdateGenerator.exe blocked by Windows Defender Smartscreen

Postby OldTech101 » 30.05.2018, 14:59

Seems my local sysadmin has enforced Windows Smartscreen scanning, and doesn't offer the option to Run anyway. Would getting UpdateGenerator.exe signed fix this issue? Does anyone have any workarounds?
OldTech101

Re: UpdateGenerator.exe blocked by Smartscreen

Postby Dalai » 30.05.2018, 15:27

SmartScreen is kind of a reputation thing that blocks primarily newly created executables, and of course ones that are known to be bad (malware). If enough people find it safe to use, the reputation increases; same applies to the other way. Note that there are two SmartScreen things in Windows 10: one in Windows Defender and another one in MS Edge. They have the same goal, but can be controlled/disabled separately.

I'm not exactly sure if signing the executable would increase its reputation. Note that a certificate costs money - AFAIK code signing cert is more expensive than a normal SSL cert for websites, and wsusoffline.net doesn't even have that. The admin would have to answer whether or not the donations could cover the expenses for that (I doubt it).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Return to Installation / Updating