Failing same spot

Failing same spot

Postby SpeedyIN » 14.04.2018, 20:33

Please forgive me as I am a NEWBIE... I have an old Windows XP Home machine that I wanted to use WSUS to do the updates. Things were working fine as far as I know, but it keeps getting to the MSSE Security Essentials thing, and crashes with a Microsoft Error. Closing out the error box, forces a reboot. The process starts over again, but fails at the same spot.

Is there a way to get around that and ignore the MSSE part of it?

Thanking you in advance.
SpeedyIN
SpeedyIN

Re: Failing same spot

Postby aker » 14.04.2018, 21:46

Just deselect it in UpdateInstaller.exe. Or delete the folder .\client\msse.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby SpeedyIN » 15.04.2018, 00:24

I removed the folder, but then the program just hangs. SO.... I created another using UpdateGenerator, this time leaving out the security essentials and defender. We'll see what happens.

QUESTION: Does the UpdateGenerator HAVE to be used on the machine needing the updates, OR can it be generated on any machine?

e.g. I have a WIndows10 Professional machine that I used to create the "updater", and used the 9.2.4 version, just checking what I wanted. Copied it to a flash drive, and ran the program from the flash drive on the XP machine.

Like I mentioned earlier, it all seemed to be running fine, up until the MSSE part. I'll post what the outcome was.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
SpeedyIN
SpeedyIN

Postby boco » 15.04.2018, 02:18

QUESTION: Does the UpdateGenerator HAVE to be used on the machine needing the updates, OR can it be generated on any machine?
Any you want, it just has to be a still officially supported machine (so all the MS tools run).

As for the MSSE error, my guess is that your old XP machine uses a CPU without SSE2 support. MSSE does not run on these old CPUs, anymore, and crashes with error 0x1d (unsupported CPU). Even the old Defender Signature updates now crash.
Unchecking MSSE and Defender should prevent that by not trying to execute the packages your CPU cannot run.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby SpeedyIN » 15.04.2018, 14:10

Once again, thanks. Yep, the CPU is old and does not have that support.

I appreciate your help.... learned quite a lot.
SpeedyIN

Postby SpeedyIN » 15.04.2018, 15:38

One more question. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but just trying to understand.

With MSSE and DEFENDER not part of the updates, the program seems to hang

Warning: Hash file hashes --wsus.txt not found.
09:18:18.60 - Listing ids of missing updates (please be patient. this will take a while) ...

That ran and is still running for hours ... more than 12 ... glitch or normal?
SpeedyIN

Postby Dalai » 15.04.2018, 15:45

@SpeedyIN:
This is normal, if you want to call it that. We've had a discussion some time ago regarding XP and long search issue, you can read it in this thread.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Return to Installation / Updating