Install updates automatically

Install updates automatically

Postby luisop » 02.02.2018, 17:01

Hello I have a network in which I use wsusoffline, currently I have it published by ftp.
It is possible to create a script and it runs on all the computers in the domain once a month. The domain has windows server 2008 installed.
luisop

Re: Install updates automatically

Postby Dalai » 02.02.2018, 17:41

Sure. But do you really make it available via FTP? That's a really bad idea because all files have to be downloaded completely to the client before anything can be done. I recommend to use a regular file share (SMB) and to create some script that runs UpdateInstaller (or rather wsusoffline\client\Update.cmd) from that share as administrator.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby luisop » 02.02.2018, 17:49

Dalai wrote:Sure. But do you really make it available via FTP? That's a really bad idea because all files have to be downloaded completely to the client before anything can be done. I recommend to use a regular file share (SMB) and to create some script that runs UpdateInstaller (or rather wsusoffline\client\Update.cmd) from that share as administrator.

Regards
Dalai

If I have been testing and it does not work through ftp, what I'm going to do is install samba and share the directory where the updates are located, what can be complex is when the updates need to restart the pc to be able to run.
luisop

Postby Dalai » 02.02.2018, 18:38

If you want to make it completely unattended: Check the script's errorlevel to see if a reboot is required (according to history.txt it returns 3010 or 3011 if reboot or reboot+recall is required). Or use /autoreboot switch if you want.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Return to Installation / Updating