Kein Update ohne Registry-Eintrag

Re: Kein Update ohne Registry-Eintrag

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 15.01.2018, 15:54

WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby IBU » 15.01.2018, 17:52

Hi WSUS Update Admin,

does it mean that it will be included in the next version of the WSUS Offline?
If so, when is the planned release date (at least approximately) ?
Do you plan to include also the option to enforce the installation without the "registry compatibility entry" ?
(e.g. an additional parameter for "DoUpdate.cmd")
Thanks.

Cheers,
IBU
IBU

Postby Dalai » 15.01.2018, 18:53

IBU wrote:Do you plan to include also the option to enforce the installation without the "registry compatibility entry" ?
(e.g. an additional parameter for "DoUpdate.cmd")

I doubt enforcing the installation of updates without this registry value is possible because I guess that Windows (maybe even the Update Agent itself) somehow checks for this value and doesn't offer specific updates if it's not present. Since WSUS Offline just uses Windows mechanisms to check for missing updates and install them, it depends on them.

Assuming that my thesis is correct, it would require WSUS Offline to set this value, which - in my opinion - it should not do. It's up to the vendors of anti-virus software and/or the system's administrator to do it.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 16.01.2018, 10:40

Hi.

Dalai wrote:Assuming that my thesis is correct, it would require WSUS Offline to set this value, which - in my opinion - it should not do. It's up to the vendors of anti-virus software and/or the system's administrator to do it.

This is exactly my opinion.
Therefore, WOU will just throw a warning if the registry value is not set.

Regards
T. Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby AlexLi » 20.01.2018, 17:06

FYI, I tested on Windows Server 2008 R2 With SP1, and I noticed that there is no warning of quality compatibility registry value is set or not set, however, I see warning on 2012 R2. Thanks!
AlexLi

Postby boco » 20.01.2018, 18:49

Did you check both cases? IIRC, there isn't any warning or notice if the reg key is set.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby boco » 01.02.2018, 19:54

WSUSUpdateAdmin wrote:Hi.

Dalai wrote:Assuming that my thesis is correct, it would require WSUS Offline to set this value, which - in my opinion - it should not do. It's up to the vendors of anti-virus software and/or the system's administrator to do it.

This is exactly my opinion.
Therefore, WOU will just throw a warning if the registry value is not set.

Regards
T. Wittrock

Am I the only one seeing a major problem with that?

The main purpose of WOU is to patch a system to a level that's safe to go online. In other words, all security-critical patches applied. Without setting the regkey, it cannot fulfil that purpose, anymore.
Compatible AV software will set the regkey, yes, but only if it is online. Which, on an offline system, it is not, by definition. The missing regkey does not only block the January updates, but all future ones (until MS will lift that restriction), at least for the cumulative Rollups.

IMHO, WOU should at least OFFER setting the regkey (with a short explanation & warning). It is safe to set on an offline system with no AV installed, yet, or if the AV installed is known to be compliant.
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby Dalai » 01.02.2018, 22:13

@boco:
You have a good point. On the other hand, the January patches are said to lead to some issues on some(?) systems. When WOU sets the registry key and people crash their systems because of it - not a good thing. What I'm trying to say:
  • people have to make sure they have a current working(!) backup of their system, just in case,
  • people have to make sure it's safe to set the registry key on their system before doing so, and
  • the warning should make clear all of the above, and that it's not WOU's fault if something goes wrong
None of this is an issue with a clean/fresh Windows installation, but it may be on older Windows installations which haven't been used for a while.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby boco » 01.02.2018, 22:53

Correct, and thus I'm against any unconditional application of that registry value. It should be offered, but not forced.

The points you stated are exactly the kind of information that has to be put into the warning text. In a short version, "If you do not understand or do not know what to do, STOP NOW!".

The current warning is a good start, but I doubt that every user understands what the QualityCompat regkey is.

MS should simply have issued a small update that
- is in the WSUS catalog
- scans a system for compliance (problematic CPU, problematic AV)
- sets the regkey if everything is hunky-dory
- explains to the user what to do if there's any blocking condition preventing further updates

Relying on AVs and internet access is exactly the way how NOT to handle such a situation. Hopefully the restriction will be lifted soon (they said they'll do it when most systems are in compliance).
boco

Return to Installation / Updating