How to use WSUS...?

How to use WSUS...?

Postby TonyClifton » 31.12.2017, 18:00

I haven't updated my Windows 7 since Microsoft cut off users with modem processors back in March 2017. Couple of questions...

1. Which version of WSUS should I download and install to get up to date?

2. Is there an recommended instructional video on YouTube on how to use WSUS?

Thanks.
TonyClifton

Re: How to use WSUS...?

Postby Dalai » 31.12.2017, 19:40

TonyClifton wrote:1. Which version of WSUS should I download and install to get up to date?

The latest one, of course, currently 11.1.

2. Is there an recommended instructional video on YouTube on how to use WSUS?

Maybe. But I doubt it's necessary. Just download it, extract it to a directory of your choice. Then run UpdateGenerator to download the updates, and run UpdateInstaller to install them. Nothing fancy to do. Repeat the last steps (UpdateGenerator/UpdateInstaller) each month if you want to keep using WSUS Offline.

PS: Just a note: WSUS != WSUS Offline Update. WSUS is the product from Microsoft, WSUS Offline Update is the product this forum (and domain) is about.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Re: How to use WSUS...?

Postby boco » 02.01.2018, 02:59

Please note that WOU cannot help you getting around the hardware lockout by MS! That lock is implemented in wuaueng.dll and WOU relies on Windows Update in order to do its work.

To get around the lock, you can use the Simplix update pack (which includes patched cumulative updates with disarmed lock and telemetry). Or use a solution like WUFUC, which patches the wuaueng.dll to fully enable Windows Update, again. Note that WUFUC patches the DLL in real time, and only in memory, so the copy on disk is never modified (soft patching).

There are solutions that hard-patch the copy on disk, this is not recommended as it destroys the file's digital signature and will cause Windows to undo the patch.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Installation / Updating