How to install manually downloaded patches using wsusoffline

How to install manually downloaded patches using wsusoffline

Postby privateren » 08.12.2017, 11:31

Hi,

I am a newbie. I already have 2 Gb of downloaded patches from March 2012 onwards for my Windows 2008 server. Can I install the same patches using wsusoffline without running UpdateGenerator.exe?.

Installing the whole set of 2 GB patches is taking a lot of time through normal process. Can anyone please help me by elaborating on how to install the same set of already downloaded patches using wsusoffline without again downloading the patches.

How can I achieve this. some one please help me?

Abraham
privateren

Re: How to install manually downloaded patches using wsusoff

Postby aker » 08.12.2017, 12:00

Just keep your copy of wsusou and run .\client\UpdateInstaller.exe later again.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby rfphee » 10.12.2017, 10:28

Dear Aker,

I am planning to upgrade wsusoffline 10.92 to 11.0.3. The downloaded patches is already 16 GB. Can I just copy WSUS 11.0.3 Update generator.exe? so that i dont have to download the downloaded patches again?

Thanks,
Ros
rfphee

Postby boco » 10.12.2017, 20:45

You can just let WOU update itself. For a manual update, all files from the archive must be extracted to overwrite the old ones (not just the executables).

Downloaded patches will be kept, except when the new WOU version doesn't support an OS/Office version anymore (example: XP, Vista).
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby privateren » 11.12.2017, 10:43

----------------------------------------------------------------
Unread postby aker » 08.12.2017, 12:00

Just keep your copy of wsusou and run .\client\UpdateInstaller.exe later again.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Aker<

Does this require internet connection.

Privateren
privateren

Postby privateren » 11.12.2017, 13:17

aker wrote:Just keep your copy of wsusou and run .\client\UpdateInstaller.exe later again.

Do I need to have an internet connection to run .\client\UpdateInstaller.exe again. Also all the files are in .msu format. Can I use the same patches in the .msu and run the .\client\UpdateInstaller.exe.

Where Should keep the pathes. I mean in which folder should I keep the files.

Regards,

Abraham
privateren

Postby Dalai » 11.12.2017, 15:24

privateren wrote:Do I need to have an internet connection to run .\client\UpdateInstaller.exe again.

No, an internet connection is not required for UpdateInstaller. It's where the "Offline" part in WSUS Offline comes from. UpdateGenerator downloads all updates you tell it to (with an internet connection, of course), and UpdateInstaller can be run on as many systems you want regardless of internet connection.

Can I use the same patches in the .msu and run the .\client\UpdateInstaller.exe.

I don't think this would work. Both parts of WSUS Offline (UpdateGenerator and UpdateInstaller) determine the patches required with the help of the catalog provided by MS (wsusscn2.cab). If an update is not found, it's either downloaded (UpdateGenerator) or not installed (UpdateInstaller); the latter also logs missing updates.

I don't see how the integration of manually downloaded updates would work. Sure, creating a static list would be one way, but that doesn't make sure in any way that the system is up to date after installing them. And it might also install unnecessary (superseded) updates. Not to mention update dependencies...

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Return to Installation / Updating