WOUTempAdmin password?

WOUTempAdmin password?

Postby Spunner » 18.12.2010, 05:35

Downloaded the new OU which uses a different method for the auto-recall...

Installing updates on a very slow computer, the screensaver kicked in after the 2nd reboot (So, logged into the WOUTempAdmin account)

I can't log back in to the WOUTempAdmin account because it is password protected... The HDD is still going crazy, and the lights on the USB-stick with the updates keeps flashing every now and again, so I assume the updates are still being installed...

I *assume* that it will reboot once it is completed, but I can't see progress, because I'm at the welcome screen.

EDIT TO ADD: WinXP SP3 machine - just installed SP3 manually before starting...
Last edited by Spunner on 18.12.2010, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Spunner

Re: WOUTempAdmin password?

Postby Spunner » 18.12.2010, 06:32

An hour later, and still going...
Spunner

Postby boco » 18.12.2010, 07:32

You could log into your regular account, and examine the update log.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby Spunner » 18.12.2010, 07:38

Just rebooting now... finally!

Next version, have it disable either the screensaver itself or the lock computer on screensaver maybe... some people won't be as patient as I.
Spunner

Postby boco » 18.12.2010, 14:04

Maybe a small AutoIt script that regularly moves the mouse cursor? Effectively prevents sleeping without any side effects.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 19.12.2010, 23:28

For security reasons, this password is intentionally randomized.
RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby Spunner » 24.12.2010, 12:09

Since it is a random password, to avoid this problem:

Either of the following will fix the problem (not sure if you can do this when creating the account, maybe set the script to do it after reboot?)

* Disable screensaver
* Turn off "On resume, display Welcome screen" under screensaver
* Turn off "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" under Power --> Advanced.

Any of these will fix the problem, but it needs to be done for the WOUAdminTemp account... By default, the screensaver kicks in after 10mins and you can't get back in until the updates are all installed and the computer reboots.
Spunner

Postby BinaryBrother » 29.10.2012, 21:46

To Dev:
There's nothing "secure" about firing a plain-text password through a commandline parameter. Randomly generated or not.

I used the Sethc.exe injection trick on my system with a modified TaskMgr [requires authentication - still] so I could pull out of problematic situations like these.

If you don't have a backup plan [like I did], there's no way out of this situation without logging WOUTempAdmin out, effectively stopping updates midstream [same as a hard-reset], which is not advised. You might be able to wait for the system to automatically finish, but the presence of a blocking error could escalate the issue to a damaged OS, rather than an outdated one. ;P

This is a very risky situation. Given that the password is stored in plain-text, same as no password at all as far as any security standard is concerned, I would recommend using a known password for the generated account.

To everyone else:
Be patient. The updates should complete.
BinaryBrother

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 30.10.2012, 09:47

Hi!

BinaryBrother wrote:To Dev:
There's nothing "secure" about firing a plain-text password through a commandline parameter. Randomly generated or not.

I used the Sethc.exe injection trick on my system with a modified TaskMgr [requires authentication - still] so I could pull out of problematic situations like these.

If you argue with hacking tools, you might also install a key logger to grab a real user's password.

BinaryBrother wrote:If you don't have a backup plan [like I did], there's no way out of this situation without logging WOUTempAdmin out, effectively stopping updates midstream [same as a hard-reset], which is not advised. You might be able to wait for the system to automatically finish, but the presence of a blocking error could escalate the issue to a damaged OS, rather than an outdated one. ;P

No, it's not like a hard reset. Running processes are waited to be finished (or timed out).
It's more like you reboot a machine during "Online Update" - not recommended but usually no disaster.

BinaryBrother wrote:This is a very risky situation. Given that the password is stored in plain-text, same as no password at all as far as any security standard is concerned, I would recommend using a known password for the generated account.

I disagree with this.

A random password isn't chosen to increase security for the time of updates' installation.
During updating, a computer is completely open to anyone who gets physical access to it, regardless of random or known password, because of the Autologon.

A random password is chosen to increase security afterwards.
If you choose a known password and the deletion of the "WOUTempAdmin" account fails for any reason, during cleanup or caused by the interruption scenario mentioned above, an administrative account with a known password will remain in the system, created by this software.
That's unacceptable in my opinion.

Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby nolme » 29.03.2017, 11:01

I had the same problem yesterday under Win7 with latest version.

Solution :

- edit Registry : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
- Set REG_SZ - AutoAdminLogon to 0
- Set REG_SZ - DefaultUserName to <null>
nolme

Next

Return to Installation / Updating