Installed updates not showed in "View installed updates"

Installed updates not showed in "View installed updates"

Postby quebecman » 15.05.2017, 15:45

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum but I have been using WSUS Offline since many years. Thanx to everyone making this freeware an excellent alternative. I have done research on this forum but couldn't really find any explanation.

My boss came in this morning and I was asked if we where protected against the latest cryptowall "Wannacry". I then whent to "VIEW INSTALLED UPDATES" and unfortunately was unable to see any updates.

My question is the following:

Is there any kind of LOG files (ex: *.txt) that I can take a look if the patch is installed? Is there any workaround to know if the patch is installed from Windows Installer?

Thanx. Regards.
Long live.
Last edited by quebecman on 15.05.2017, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
quebecman

Re: Installed updates not showed in "View installed updates"

Postby Dalai » 15.05.2017, 16:35

quebecman wrote:I then whent to "VIEW INSTALLED UPDATES" and unfortunately was unable to see any updates.

Are you sure you looked at Installed Updates as opposed to Update History? Just today I explained the difference (again) :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6612.

Is there any kind of LOG files (ex: *.txt) that I can take a look if the patch is installed?

Yup. Take a look at C:\Windows\wsusofflineupdate.log.

Is there any workaround to know if the patch is installed from Windows Installer?

Probably yes (although Windows Installer has nothing to do with Windows Update). Let Windows search for updates, and if it doesn't find anyting that can be installed, the available updates have most likely been installed.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby quebecman » 15.05.2017, 16:51

Hello,

Thanx for the quick reply. I have read your post. As my understanding:

"CABs ONLY show up in Installed Updates " --\

Questions:

- Unfortunately, installed updates doesn't show if SUCCESSFUL or NOT. If it shows in list, does this mean it's been installed SUCCESSFULLY? Unfortunately, impossible to know the ones that have failed!

" Updates installed by MSU appear in BOTH lists "

- Since it mainly downloads only the CABS, is there any workaround and or future versions that will download MSU instead?
quebecman

Postby Dalai » 15.05.2017, 17:23

quebecman wrote: - Unfortunately, installed updates doesn't show if SUCCESSFUL or NOT.

Well, it's quite logical because only installed updates were successfully installed. In other words: failed updates are not installed updates, so they won't be listed there. So, if an update is not listed there it's not installed, regardless of whether or not an installation attempt was made.

If an update installation fails it's always rolled back. Maybe you've seen this when rebooting the system that it says "rolling back changes" or something (don't know the exact message because I don't use English language Windows).

- Since it mainly downloads only the CABS, is there any workaround and or future versions that will download MSU instead?

Not that I know of. AFAIK there are mainly (maybe only?) URLs to CABs in the MS catalog file used by WSUS Offline (wsusscn2.cab). But I don't think it's necessary because it's simple to use the list of Installed Updates.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby boco » 15.05.2017, 20:19

The catalog contains only CAB resources in most cases. Using MSU is not possible without defining everything statically, an almost impossible task.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby quebecman » 15.05.2017, 21:09

Thanx for the fast response.
quebecman

Return to Installation / Updating